NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Trac Off / ABS & "Service Traction System" mes
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Trac Off / ABS & "Service Traction System" mes
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GG2
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: Nov 08, 2008
Posts: 54
Posts per day: 0.02


2000 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject:  Trac Off / ABS & "Service Traction System" mes Reply with quote

Hey guys... Two days ago out of nowhere the TRAC OFF/ABS lights lit up, and there was a "Service Traction System" message along with it. It goes away for a bit, then comes back again... Now when I take off from a stop there is a weird grinding/slipping feeling at the wheels as if I am driving on ice. This happened about 4 times so far. It only does it from a complete stop, and then the car regroups itself and takes off normal... There are no issues while the car is in motion as far as I can tell.......................

1st question... Why is the lights coming on and the car stuttering from a stop?

2nd question... Until I can afford to fix it, is there any way to completely disarm the "Traction Thing"? I tried turning traction to off, but the lights still come on and the car still does the weird grinding/spinning wheel hesitation thing when taking off...........
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
schmidty
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: Jun 09, 2008
Posts: 97
Posts per day: 0.03
Location: Greensburg PA

2002 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My car did similar things with the lights and messages. I took the car in for service and the mechanic said that my brake fluid was a little low and topped it off for me...That was last winter and i havent had another issue with it. My car wasnt behaving like yours from a launch though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Apr 15, 2008
Posts: 4127
Posts per day: 1.17
Location: Canton, Ohio

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject:  Re: Trac Off / ABS & "Service Traction System" Reply with quote

GG2 wrote:
1st question... Why is the lights coming on and the car stuttering from a stop?


I've been in ur shoes for that situation happening... you either have a bad wheel hub or one of the wires going to the hub is bad... just had my driver side front one replaced about a week ago and it was causing that hesitation to happen as well as it turning off

GG2 wrote:
2nd question... Until I can afford to fix it, is there any way to completely disarm the "Traction Thing"? I tried turning traction to off, but the lights still come on and the car still does the weird grinding/spinning wheel hesitation thing when taking off...........


To be blunt the traction button only turns off ur traction control... your abs is still gonna work it's just a temporary turnoff button

When u start or stop the traction or abs depending on what your doing is going to engauge because the computer thinks the wheel sensor voltage is different then the other wheels... i'm not sure why it turns off besides that it's giving a voltage that it knows is not in it's parameters and turns off...

My traction control would turn on when i was making a turn and about 2 seconds later it'd shut off completely...

**ninja edit** you could most likely pull the fuse that controls that computer unless someone else has another suggestion for ya or information on ur problem

_________________
2006 Impala LTZ 105k- Dynomax Catback Exhaust, Overkilled by Will Wink

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NUTSgoWEEE
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Jan 01, 2007
Posts: 1157
Posts per day: 0.29
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska

2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Had the same problem about 2 years ago. It was a bad wheel speed sensor. A shop with a Tech II scanner can tell you which one is faulty then I just replaced it myself. Mine was a left rear hub (about $90 from pep boys) but you have to make sure you get the one with ABS.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Nick1234
Dedicated
Dedicated


Joined: Jan 22, 2007
Posts: 374
Posts per day: 0.09
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

like mentioned above if you unplug a hub, it will kill the traction control and lessen the abs going off, but it will still go off here and there.

Either a hub needs to be replaced, or a front harness needs to be replaced. I had a problem with the front wires. Had to buy from a dealer and splice them in. No problems all summer.

_________________
2001 Chevy Impala LS
1990 Chevy Lumina Euro 4dr 3.1 Turbo:
K&N, 1.6 Roller Tip Rockers, Custom Chip, Exhaust, 180 T-stat, Poly dogbones, 1G DSM BOV, UD-Pulley
14.446 @ 94.54
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
niquattx
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: Nov 07, 2009
Posts: 5
Posts per day: 0



PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject:  This is Easy to fix if the issue continues.... Reply with quote

I had the same issue...it was intermittent or seemed that way. Take off the two front wheels and inspect each plug going into your wheel hub (real simple). I am willing to bet one of them is wet. if you look at the white end of the plug there should be a small rubber o-ring around the rim of the plug. In my case it wasn't there, allowing water to short it. They told me it was my wheel hub too but I wasn't convinced!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
snook
Member Level
Member Level


Joined: Apr 09, 2007
Posts: 1799
Posts per day: 0.46
Location: Athens, TN

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1985 Chevrolet Blazer


PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject:  Re: This is Easy to fix if the issue continues.... Reply with quote

niquattx wrote:
I had the same issue...it was intermittent or seemed that way. Take off the two front wheels and inspect each plug going into your wheel hub (real simple). I am willing to bet one of them is wet. if you look at the white end of the plug there should be a small rubber o-ring around the rim of the plug. In my case it wasn't there, allowing water to short it. They told me it was my wheel hub too but I wasn't convinced!


Its a one piece deal, can't just replace the sensor, you have to replace the hub which has the sensor in it...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sh8dybizness
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Feb 18, 2009
Posts: 3616
Posts per day: 1.12
Location: Southern California

2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What snook said, now break bread!

_________________

helldorado wrote:
I should be surprised at the lack of knowledge in this thread, but its NAIOA, so I'm not.


whitelightnin04MC wrote:
If you drive stupid, you die stupid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ad0726
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Nov 20, 2007
Posts: 1316
Posts per day: 0.36


2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Malibu
1983 Datsun Patrol
2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You need a new hub
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Apr 15, 2008
Posts: 4127
Posts per day: 1.17
Location: Canton, Ohio

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

x4!

_________________
2006 Impala LTZ 105k- Dynomax Catback Exhaust, Overkilled by Will Wink

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stu89
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Jul 06, 2009
Posts: 154
Posts per day: 0.05
Location: GTA, Ontario

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

x5

Same thing happened to me.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
spankthaspeedbump
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Feb 15, 2009
Posts: 149
Posts per day: 0.05


2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

not to jack a thread but mine is an every start up thing, same deal as the OP, only from a stop, taking off or stopping at a low speed. the motis says it's the front drivers side.... i have replaced that one 3 times now. and it's still brand new now. i just get in every time and hit the trac button and wait for it to shut off the rest of it. mine doesn't even grind anymore.... but pops up with the light, dings and it's done... anyone have a clue? and yes i have glanced at the harness a few times... you will see i will have another thread with all my codes fro today... the abs one will be on there as well.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wingman520
Guru
Guru
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: Apr 15, 2008
Posts: 4127
Posts per day: 1.17
Location: Canton, Ohio

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

spankthaspeedbump wrote:
not to jack a thread but mine is an every start up thing, same deal as the OP, only from a stop, taking off or stopping at a low speed. the motis says it's the front drivers side.... i have replaced that one 3 times now. and it's still brand new now. i just get in every time and hit the trac button and wait for it to shut off the rest of it. mine doesn't even grind anymore.... but pops up with the light, dings and it's done... anyone have a clue? and yes i have glanced at the harness a few times... you will see i will have another thread with all my codes fro today... the abs one will be on there as well.


your ABS and TC off come on when the computer just basically gives up and shuts off till you restart the engine... does it happen during turns at all or just straight line? i'm thinking it's your cable going to that driver front since you said the hub has been replaced multiple times...

i just had mine replaced because of it and it was during turns or straight lines weather it be ABS kicking in or the TC when i accelerated... check that cable for sure IMO

_________________
2006 Impala LTZ 105k- Dynomax Catback Exhaust, Overkilled by Will Wink

2001 Chevy Impala- 186K Retired: 180 T stat, HV3, Wizaired Intake, GMPP Exhaust, Speed Daddy Headers, 1.9 Yella Terra Rockers, Custom LED interior, BBEngineering.com 6 Pod Cluster, Poly Mounts and Bushings, Dyno Tuned by Dyno Brian @ Dyno Tune Motorsports 181 WHP 230 WTQ
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spankthaspeedbump
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Feb 15, 2009
Posts: 149
Posts per day: 0.05


2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wingman520 wrote:
spankthaspeedbump wrote:
not to jack a thread but mine is an every start up thing, same deal as the OP, only from a stop, taking off or stopping at a low speed. the motis says it's the front drivers side.... i have replaced that one 3 times now. and it's still brand new now. i just get in every time and hit the trac button and wait for it to shut off the rest of it. mine doesn't even grind anymore.... but pops up with the light, dings and it's done... anyone have a clue? and yes i have glanced at the harness a few times... you will see i will have another thread with all my codes fro today... the abs one will be on there as well.


your ABS and TC off come on when the computer just basically gives up and shuts off till you restart the engine... does it happen during turns at all or just straight line? i'm thinking it's your cable going to that driver front since you said the hub has been replaced multiple times...

i just had mine replaced because of it and it was during turns or straight lines weather it be ABS kicking in or the TC when i accelerated... check that cable for sure IMO



will do! while i'm doing my top swap!!!! lol i'm so excited... lol

and it does it within 2 feet of driving turning or not, forward or reverse don't matter still does it.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blakked_out
Cadet
Cadet


Joined: Apr 22, 2009
Posts: 53
Posts per day: 0.02
Location: Tulsa, OK

2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wingman520 wrote:
spankthaspeedbump wrote:
not to jack a thread but mine is an every start up thing, same deal as the OP, only from a stop, taking off or stopping at a low speed. the motis says it's the front drivers side.... i have replaced that one 3 times now. and it's still brand new now. i just get in every time and hit the trac button and wait for it to shut off the rest of it. mine doesn't even grind anymore.... but pops up with the light, dings and it's done... anyone have a clue? and yes i have glanced at the harness a few times... you will see i will have another thread with all my codes fro today... the abs one will be on there as well.


your ABS and TC off come on when the computer just basically gives up and shuts off till you restart the engine... does it happen during turns at all or just straight line? i'm thinking it's your cable going to that driver front since you said the hub has been replaced multiple times...

i just had mine replaced because of it and it was during turns or straight lines weather it be ABS kicking in or the TC when i accelerated... check that cable for sure IMO


I've pretty much experienced all of it with mine. First it was intermittent, then it was when I would take off. The culprit was the cable on the driver side. I replaced the bearing and it didn't fix the problem. Come to find out, it was the cable on the driver side and now it's doing it again. I need to check and see if the "O" ring is gone because it keeps coming unplugged and has probably been exposed to water Sad

_________________


2003 IMP BASE LA1

"The light at the end of the tunnel is not a train"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: December 13, 2017, 5:14:18 am
Page Generation: 0.12 Seconds ( SQL 45:137 in 0.01 Seconds )