NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Car Engine Missing? Tranny?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Car Engine Missing? Tranny?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trx_Racer

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject:  Car Engine Missing? Tranny? Reply with quote

Good Evening,

Its been a while since i have posted anything, due to life in general.

My SS has been acting very different lately, We just got back from a trip to Oregon, before leaving it seen to hesitate or miss when going over a small overpass or light throttle pressure. I spoke with a couple of buddies and they suggested that i needed replace the fuel filter.

While i was driving north it noticed getting worst as we climbed up and down mountain passes, so after a day in Oregon the lady and I figured we should at least get the filter replaced at a local GM dealership. I would have thought that would have fixed it, but no luck. It has since spent a day at my local GM dealership and after spending a full test day nothing was found.

I'm hoping that someone on this forum has had this unfortunate problem, and give me a heads up on what maybe be happening before it leaves me and the lady on the side of the road.

Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 1.06

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Any codes?
Trx_Racer

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nope, no codes. this is what has me asking on this forum..

Thanks...

Guru
Guru
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.35

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Did they check the cat?

Trx_Racer

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i don't believe they did, i had the cat go bad on my once before on a LS model.

maybe, ill have them check that....next

thanks, just trying to find a cause before i end up on the side of the road.

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Our '03 had a code for a Lean mixture. replaced the fuel pressure regulator, the fuel filter. Idiot light came back on within a few miles. I borrowed my brother's demo scanner and it gave the same codes our AZone $80 cheapie did. I cleared them out and while checking for loose vacuum hose I saw the hose right before the throttle body (the solid plastic one dead center next to a sensor plug) and decided to see where it led to. It ends left of the tranny dipstick and under the coil packs (3.4 L). The end was hanging there out of a hole where I think a gasket or an O ring had been. Does anyone have a name or part number for the gasket?
snook
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1985 Chevrolet Blazer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm no genius for sure, but if its a miss I would start with the plugs, wires, and coil packs. Eliminate all of them, and then try the fuel stuff. If you haven't changed the plugs and wires on it, its probably due anyw ay...
EricJ
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't mean to hijack this thread. Sorry. Ours is at 74,000 plus, so I'll look into tuneup.
NUTSgoWEEE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject:  Re: Car Engine Missing? Tranny? Reply with quote

Trx_Racer wrote:

My SS has been acting very different lately, We just got back from a trip to Oregon, before leaving it seen to hesitate or miss when going over a small overpass or light throttle pressure. I spoke with a couple of buddies and they suggested that i needed replace the fuel filter.

A missfire usually sets a code off. Do you have any other description of the problem? Like noises or what it feels like?

Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.67

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2011 GMC Sierra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject:  Re: Car Engine Missing? Tranny? Reply with quote

NUTSgoWEEE wrote:
Trx_Racer wrote:

A missfire usually sets a code off. Do you have any other description of the problem? Like noises or what it feels like?

Not necessarily, I have a misfire, but I'm not setting off any codes. I checked for codes today when I was scanning my car.

Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

This should prove to be an interesting search for google. I'm curious. Confused2
firestorm
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.09

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Are the symptoms present going downhill? ...or does it only hiccup when lugging up a hill? At relatively low RPM, while going up a steep grade, it's possible that the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) could be disengaging and quickly re-engaging. I've experienced that on a good number of cars, and will usually take the vehicle out of OD on hilly roads.

That behavior shouldn't change though, and I'm guessing you're noticing a difference on familiar roads.

Otherwise, I would make sure everything is in good tune (plugs, wires, coils) and then look at the fuel system. Maybe even run some fuel system cleaner through it to clean the injectors; I'm a fan of Seafoam myself.

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.2

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I know this sounds stupid BUT....

Seeing as how you have an SS,it could be just your stiff front struts making it "feel" like a slight misfire when you are going over bumps/slight dips in the road,esp during acceration.I get this feeling in my 9C1 sometimes.

You will notice that depending on outside temp the road will be smooth or seem rather rough,esp if you have a stiff suspension.....The road will contract or expand depending on the outside temp.If its warm out than the road will seem rather smooth,if its cold out than the road will contract and seem rather rough.

This is just my foolish theory,IDK....

BTW,are you you feeling this slight misfire ALL the time or at just certain times? Are their times you feel it more than at other times?

1999 Chevy Z56 Tahoe PPV.2004 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor,
2007 Chevy 9C1 Impala.
ZeeVert
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I mention this only because I just fixed a nasty hesitation problem on a friend's 2000 Montana with no codes (after we changed the plugs and wires).
It's cheap and easy to try... clean the MAF sensor.
It seems to me that the dirty MAF sensor usually turns up on higher mileage cars or cars with oily K&N air filters.
I use the CRC? MAF sensor cleaner. I get it at Autozone.

Again, might not be the problem, but cheap to try.

ZeeVert
02 Impala LS
TrapperY

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject:  Engine Misfire Low RPMs Uphill Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 2002 LS (73,000), Engine Misfire driving at Low RPMs Uphill.I changed the fuel filter and cleaned MAF sensor, but still had the misfire. Eventually,I had code P0303 I think- misfire cylinder 3.

After changing the spark plugs and wires, the misfire went away, so I conclude that my misfire (only occurred when going uphill with low RPM) resulted from a bad spark plug wire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: