NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - So, How has your Impala held up?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

So, How has your Impala held up?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedWonder
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject:  So, How has your Impala held up? Reply with quote

Haven't posted in a while, but nagging problems with my car continue to persist. I have tried long and hard to get my engine oil lights off, but to zero avail. I think my car is either leaking oil (probably from a head gasket), burning it, or both. Either way, I loose oil pretty fast and always have the "change engine oil" or "low engine oil" lights on. Both lights usually fade after I start my car. If I let it go, the dreaded "LOW ENGINE OIL!" light flashes in red.

A few years ago I needed to replace my airbag module under the passengers seat. I needed to resort to the dealer, and it cost me near $800 to fix. A year or so before that I heard a ticking noise when I started the car, which faded slowly as the car warmed up. A mechanic patched this problem with adding some sort of engine sealer to my coolant.

Oh, I've also been through four front drivers side window switch modules, which I have noticed is something all of us 00-05 Impala owners have to replace at some point. Both of my remote starters stopped working (and no, replacing the batteries hasn't worked). I would buy a replacement remote on ebay and program it to my car, but I already put an aftermarket HU in, so I would have to go to the dealer (who, ironically, told me that they would have to check to see if it was a faulty sensor, which would cost me more $$, so I have been using the keys to open and close.. a REAL pain). Another electronic thing that went was the bloody high beam switch, which caused me to flunk NJ's ridiculous Nazi car inspection (thankfully found a mechanic who was willing to pass me, for $80, ugh).

I guess what I'm getting at is, I don't think my Impala has aged well, whether it be my fault or what not. I have nagging problems, and she hasn't even reached 100k. I'm not in any position to buy a new car from the dealer, but I don't know how much longer my Impala will last without a major costly repair. I'm still bitter that I missed out on "Cash for Clunkers" buy two measly MPG Evil or Very Mad .

I was wondering how everyone's Impala's have been holding up over the years, now that the first year models of the millennium Impalas has turned 10 years old. Has anyone experienced similar problems or different nagging problems like this? Also, if you find you could help me with some of the problems, or if your a competent mechanic in the NJ area (the mechanics I've taken her to about the oil light have been major failures) please drop me a pm or post in this thread.

wedebrook
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.79

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
1991 Chevrolet S10
2004 Chevrolet Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mine's a 2000, and it has held up quite well. Only major repair work I have done is replace the LIM gaskets, which if you haven't done yet, I recommend you do. This may be part of your oil problem.

As for the remotes not working, if you take them apart, I'm almost certain that you will find that the metal bracket that holds the battery in place has come unsoldered from the circuit board in at least on place, causing the remote not to function. I have seen this on both the remotes for my Imp, one of the remotes for my TB, and one of the remotes for my neighbor's new Jeep Cherokee.

shagnwagon
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 1.06

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mines a 2000, Ive put on two new axles, two new wheel hubs, a tie rod, and fuel filter. Other than that normal maintenance. So for three owners i say not bad.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've got a 2002 Monte Carlo... mechanically the same as the Impala. In the last 2 and a half years I have needed transmission cooler lines, high pressure power steering fluid line, a new BCM, LIM gasket, battery, catalytic converter, multifunction switch and a new battery. My oil pan gasket is leaking, but not enough for me to worry about right now.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
myimpala88
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 1.99

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Two wheel bearings and a new sunroof on the Impala. I don't think GM designed our sunroofs to be used in the winter. Laughing
RedWonder
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

wedebrook wrote:
Mine's a 2000, and it has held up quite well. Only major repair work I have done is replace the LIM gaskets, which if you haven't done yet, I recommend you do. This may be part of your oil problem.

As for the remotes not working, if you take them apart, I'm almost certain that you will find that the metal bracket that holds the battery in place has come unsoldered from the circuit board in at least on place, causing the remote not to function. I have seen this on both the remotes for my Imp, one of the remotes for my TB, and one of the remotes for my neighbor's new Jeep Cherokee.

How much is the LIM gaskets to replace, and how many did you have done?

whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 1.61

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My 2004 Monte Carlo LS has held up very well over the years. It had 105,000 miles on it when I let my mom have it. In the 5 years that I owned it, the only thing I had to replace on it was the water pump.

My 2001 Monte Carlo SS has been another story. I've put about 15-20k on it since I picked it up. In that time, I've gone through 2 passenger side axles, upper engine mounts, a BCM, and coolant fittings on the alternator.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
wedebrook
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 1.79

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
1991 Chevrolet S10
2004 Chevrolet Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

RedWonder wrote:
wedebrook wrote:

How much is the LIM gaskets to replace, and how many did you have done?

I did the job myself and it ran me about $200 or so, and that's including a couple tools I had to buy that I didn't already have and the replacement fluids. I have only done it once, and I switched to the new design of gaskets, so this doesn't happen again.

milwaukee_01impala
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.68

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Express

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2001, 121XXX miles now. bought it with just over 42,000.(5 years ago this month) the only major thing i had to do is the LIM. one of the tie rods was replaced two years ago, but thats about it. other than that its just been normal maintenance and the few things i've added.

interior/exterior:BBEngineering led LS cluster,BBEngineering led HVAC control,BBEngineering DRL/ALC bypass,quad headlights,impala embroidered floormats,20%tint,auto ventshade vent visors,LED tail lamps/front turn signals,LED interior/reverse/license plate lights,silverstar hi/lo beams,turn signal mirrors,aftermarket moonroof,17" Helo slick rims
Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.77

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So far, my Impala has been quite kind to me. For a 2004 with 48,000 miles, I haven't had any real problems. I've had the car since April of 08 and the only repair I had to do was my multi-function switch which was covered under my extended warranty. Very Happy I'm a big believer in performing regular maintenance such as fluid flushes and regular checkups. I flushed my power steering and coolant last year just for maintanance purposes. Does that count?

Sold 28/10/11
NUTSgoWEEE
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.3

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

2003 with 92k miles. So far I've done a front bearing and a rear bearing, a new BCM, LIM gaskets then head gaskets a year after. Can't think of anything else I've had to do other than maintenance (struts, filters, tires etc.)

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.09

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2006 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

On my 02 LS with 75k miles, bought it used in Oct '08 with 59k, the first owner didnt do much if any work on it. My records dont show anything but the routine maintenance.
Ive only had to replace the front passenger ball joint. I did have power steering issues right after I bought it, but I used the Lucas Powersteering fix and that has worked for about a year. I did replace the serpentine belt about a month after I bought it, old one was looking crusty. My ISS does need a squirt of lube up and down the shaft.

Other than that, the Impy is almost 8 y/o and has 75k miles and is running pretty good.

Last edited by 02LSVP on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mine is an 2002 with approx 165k. Engine-wise its needed the LIM gaskets, cat converter, and one new coil (the two leads were rusted but worked fine otherwise, ran smoother with the new coil though). Plugs and wires have been changed, serpentine belt is still original and looks good. Laughing

Suspension has been 85% completely replaced, not all of it was really necessary but with the high miles it helped bring back the ride quality and improved the handling a lot! Axles were replaced due to slinging grease, mostly caused by bad hubs, which were all replaced with good used units. The only things that are original on the front end are the brake calipers, EVERYTHING else was replaced/upgraded. Laughing Shocked

No electrical problems or ISS issues! Laughing

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

MIne is a 2005 95,000 miles. Having the head gasket replaced as we speak. other than topping off the PS fluid no repairs. Just regular maintance.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Jeff
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mine is an 04 Impala 3.4L in the mid 70K range mileage. I bought it new in April of 2004 and it has been good to me, but with that said....I have never neglected it. Oil always changed @ 3K miles, sometimes sooner. It has had a waterpump @ 70K just b/c I had it apart for assurance(changed myself 20 bucks), new thermostat@ 70K old one stuck closed(changed myself, but bad design & a lot of labor), drivers front hub bearing( shop installed 250.00), drivers side a/c door actuator( dealer installed 130.00), and one upstream o2 AC Delco Sensor(replaced myself 120.00) The car will need axle half shafts soon, due to an inner joint being worn and causing a shimmy during turning manuevers. I also have intermittent problems with the PCS in the transmission, but it's not bad and/or bothering me enough yet to have it replaced(added a bottle of duralube red, i think, and since then the problem has seemed to be very sporatic). Most of the items on my list are normal wear items that by 75-100K miles need changed, so I think I've gotten my 26K worth.......and definitely will by the time I'm done driving it! Even with the maintenance it is a comfortable car that will get me 38-40mpg during interstate travel @ 75-80 mph. I went 730 miles on 1 1/8 tank of gas on my last interstate trip...no joke.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: