NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Airbag module
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Airbag module
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Am4wag

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject:  Airbag module Reply with quote

Recently got my '04,and the airbag light is on in the dash.I was told I need an '04 module/that the one in it is an '02,and it is year specific as well as it will have to be programmed by the dealer....OK,I see them on ebay for 25-150$....so,according to what I'm told,the module is located under the passenger seat.So is it just a matter of (me) replacing the module (with the correct module) then hop on over to the dealer to get it programmed?
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pretty much, unless there's another issue with it...

ad0726
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.37

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Malibu
1983 Datsun Patrol
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Before you replace your air bag module, check the wiring under the drivers seat, start the car and move the wiring under the seat,
Am4wag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Before I remove the module/start unplugging connectors,do I need to disconnect the battery or anything to prevent bag deployment while I'm doing this?
dhat
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Blazer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....ove+airbag Check this link for removing the airbag.

Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes. Disconnect the negative battery cable and wait 30 minutes just to be safe before doing anything.

Am4wag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

To begin with,the module that is in the car is for an '02.I realize I need one for an '04.But I'm seeing them listed (for example/could be others) as AK5 style
module with 12242060 service number,AW6 style module with 12242070 service number on ebay.
Clearly I'll need one or the other,or even a different one than these two I found.Any way I can tell which one I'll need,maybe going by VIN or something?
racerman51
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Pontiac G5
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ok,got a question here..if I get an airbag module for the wreckers,should I worry about whether or not if it's going to work or not?..yes,my light is still on..the water on the floor was not the problem..and does the seat have to come out to get at the module?

ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.3

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Am4wag wrote:
To begin with,the module that is in the car is for an '02.I realize I need one for an '04.But I'm seeing them listed (for example/could be others) as AK5 style
module with 12242060 service number,AW6 style module with 12242070 service number on ebay.
Clearly I'll need one or the other,or even a different one than these two I found.Any way I can tell which one I'll need,maybe going by VIN or something?

You need to have the proper one for your car. Either PM your VIN, or look on your SPID label in the trunk to see which option code your car has. And stay with the proper year as well.

There is no programming procedure for these. So as long as you disable the air bag system, have the correct SDM, it should be plug and play.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Pontiac G5
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
Am4wag wrote:

You need to have the proper one for your car. Either PM your VIN, or look on your SPID label in the trunk to see which option code your car has. And stay with the proper year as well.

There is no programming procedure for these. So as long as you disable the air bag system, have the correct SDM, it should be plug and play.

but what about my question about getting one from the auto wrecker's?..

Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Go get one, just make sure the tags on the SDM on the donor car match the tags on the SDM in your car, if you aren't able to pick the exact same year and options. Did you PM him your VIN to see what other years may have the same SDM?

Also, if you didn't know already...DON'T take the SDM from a car that has had the airbags deployed or has flood damage.

racerman51
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Pontiac G5
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Go get one, just make sure the tags on the SDM on the donor car match the tags on the SDM in your car, if you aren't able to pick the exact same year and options. Did you PM him your VIN to see what other years may have the same SDM?

Also, if you didn't know already...DON'T take the SDM from a car that has had the airbags deployed or has flood damage.

not yet..I keep forgetting to do something about that.. DOH! my memory ain't what it used to be..

MISHNAH
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.64

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Mercedes-Benz E Class
2006 Nissan Murano
2003 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Is the module programmed to the BCM?

I always thought it was, but just looked at the service manual and didnt see any programming related to it. Smile

2002 Galaxy Silver Sedan - LS cluster - Debadged - Intrigue compass/autodim mirror - DIC - Regal graphite leather seats - LS console with floor shift conversion - Monte Carlo black leather steering wheel - LS springs - KYB GR-2 Struts - GMPP sway bars and rear STB - Fog light frontend harness - LS Bumper with fog lights - Painted trim and side skirts

2006 Nissan Murano - Autodim/compass mirror
2006 Mercedez-Benz E350 - Stock for stock, its faster than an SS, woot!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There is a learn function during BCM programming, but I don't know if it takes something along the lines of the serv code or if it grabs a serial number. I've never had to change mine so I've never monkeyed around with it.

During initial BCM setup, you can use just a Tech 2...but once the BCM is set up if you need to change whatever is changed with the SDM in the BCM, you need to use the PC hooked up to it as well (see http://tis2web.xw.gm.com/tis2web then enter your VIN, there is an option for SDM ID learn, but you can't actually do anything with the website with your PC).

If you look up that bulletin number - 1472911 in your service manual (if you have bulletins) you can read all about it. Wink

RPO Code AK5 = w/o side airbags
RPO CODE AW6 = w/ side airbags

The 7th digit of the VIN also identifies if the car is equipped with side airbags or not...but the service manual doesn't say which is what.

RedWonder
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I put something under my seat one time, and it caused the same light to go off. But, I simply touched the wire underneath the seat and it went off and stayed off. I had my passengers airbag module replaced by the dealer before this, but idk if I needed it. Anyway, go around checking your connections under there 1st. If you can find a way to avoid the dealer, try to do so. The job cost me around $800.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: