NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Nightryder's re-build thread. DONE.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Nightryder's re-build thread. DONE.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Power Adders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightryder
Master Level
Master Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.82

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Oh yes ! Nightryder's re-build thread. DONE. Reply with quote

I think its about time I make one of these, as you probably know Iíll be doing the top swap on the Imp this coming spring Twisted Evil (the current time line is set for 3/27 Ė 4/4)

This has been a long time in the making and it feels pretty damn good to see this thing finally coming together Very Happy I started this thread when I first bought the basic parts as a way to track my progress while giving you guys a detailed progression of the transformation and so you can appreciate how much work has gone into it.

Iím at the point where I have the majority of the parts ready to go. I wanted to wait to start this thread until I got my heads and LIM back from Trannyman, but itís looking like itíll be another month or so until that happens. Aside from that I just have to get my headers, head gaskets, fuel lines, wideband, plugs/wires, and a few other misc. things. Iím currently looking into switching the components up in the IC kit, the FMHE that came with the kit isnít really the best set-up on the Imp. Iím also looking into the GM pump and a different reservoir set-up. I'll try to keep this as up to date as possible as I proceed.

This is a little abstract on what I have planned, keep in mind everything you see (minus porting) was done by myself in my spare time over the past two years. The main reason why I spread this out was because I wanted to do this right the first time and have it look good at the same time. That being saidÖIím going pretty much all out on this thing Twisted Evil everything that needs to be removed is getting replaced/upgraded and/or cleaned and painted/polished, right down to the bolts Cool As of right now the plan is to see how long the stock tranny will last and when it goes itíll be getting a TEP build. I donít expect it to last all that long, maybe a yearÖit all depends on how much I drive it, the ZR2 will more than likely be taking over as my DD for the summer just so I can break it in slowly and make sure things are good to go. Ideally I would like to have the new trans in it by Spring 2011 but I will let it go another year if possible.

The build:

- North Star TB (75mm)
- 75mm polished GenIII adapter plate
- ZZP TAC
- LQ4 85mm MAF

- GenIII M90
- Porting by Triple Edge Performance
- Inlet ported to 75mm with some blending
- Outlet ported
- ďH-barĒ removed for Intercooler
- ZZP green poly coupler
- ZZP MPS
- 3.4Ē (for now, most likely going to a sub 3.0 after tuning/break-in)

- ZZP Stage 2 Full Size Intercooler
- Flo-jet pump
- Mustang Cobra Intercooler Reservoir

- ZZP machined LIM
- Coolant passages blocked off
- Outlets gasket matched (by TEP)
- PCV function retained
- Coolant passage to rear head opened up

- Ported heads by Triple Edge Performance
- Intake fully ported and gasket matched
- Exhaust ported and lightly polished
- 3 angle valve job, exhaust valves back cut
- New guides
- Guides machined for .600Ē lift (with stock seals/retainers)
- Polished chambers
- Viton seals
- Crow Cam 105# springs
- Manely retainers
- Resurfaced
- Painted black

- XP cam
- Rollmaster Double Roller timing set
- Crank gear machined to match the stock crank gearís chamfer

- Machined Oil Pump Cover

- Meziere HD Electric water pump
- EP harness
- 180* drilled t-stat

- ZZP headers

- Bosch Green Top Injectors (42.5#)

- ZZP Fuel pump re-wire

- PRJ fuel rails

- PRJ wires

- s**t ton of tuning by Overkill

While Iím in there Iíll also be deleting the EGR, California emissions, and EVAP along with replacing the stock plastic fuel lines with stainless braided lines and AN fittings. Since I will be pulling the engine, Iím going to replace the motor mount and oil pan/gasket right away. Thatís about it as far as the actual parts are concerned.

So thatís the basic plan, now hereís how things have been progressing over the past 2 years Cool

September 2008:

Basic parts bought for $300 (CanadianÖso its like $150 USD Laughing )
Most of the parts look like hell, but thatís not a problem for me Cool

A few more parts were bought. Alternator bracket, L67 valve covers, Harmonic balancer, Front cover (timing cover), and L67 engine cover.

October 2008:

The first official work begins! Sprucing up the valve covers. After cleaning, sanding, bondo, more sanding, more bondo, more sandingÖetc Laughing The clips that hold the spark plug wire holder on the cover were shaved and bondoíd over, I wonít be needing them Cool

Coated in truck bed liner Very Happy I plan on getting some different valve cover bolts and polishing the washers along with getting viton grommets to top them off.

After thinking about reconditioning the stock TB, I decided it would be too much work for the gains so I picked up a 75mm N* kit (w/TAC) for cheap instead.

Work began on the engine cover. I donít think Iím going to use it everyday, Iíll just keep it for show purposes. Anyways I cleaned it up, took a dremel to it, and sanded it down to 800 grit. After that I polished up a piece of metal mesh to eventually be cut and placed in the holes on the cover. This is as far as I got on the cover, the paper in the holes serves as a template to cut the mesh.

November 2008:

I started cleaning up the front cover, spent countless hours trying to figure out the most efficient method of sanding it down. I finally went out and bought a sander, that did the trick Smile

After cleaning it up I painted it with 3 coats of silver high temp paint and 3 coats of high temp clear. I also sanded and painted the idler stand off.

For those of you wondering why the oil pump in the 3800 is considered ďindestructibleĒÖhereís why

I took the snout off the blower and pulled the rotor pack out. After cleaning the rotors up I polished the rotor pack Cool This was a bitch of a job, I have a new found respect for people who do this all the time Laughing I started off by sanding it with 80 grit and worked my way up to 400 grit when I started wet sanding then I sanded it to 2000 grit. This step alone took about 30 hours.

After sanding I took it to the cutting wheel then the buffing wheel, a few hours later and this is what I got. Bling! Cool

Thanks to ZZPís w00t sales I wound up with a MPS system, a Fullsize Stage 2 IC kit, and I threw in a new s/c oil plug and a poly s/c coupler.

December 2008:

Bought my XP cam Twisted Evil

Polished all the s/c bolts. These were done with a dremel and greaseless compound then hit with the cutting wheel followed by the buffing wheel. Each bolt has around an hour of time invested.

January 2009:

I reached my goal of finishing the blower this month Cool I received my ported case from Dave at Triple Edge. Itís a shame you wonít be able to see this when the blower is on, this port job is pure sex.

Blower case prepped and coated in bed liner.

Went to the dealer to pick up a vacuum manifold and PCV valve for the blower and got the stock pulley removed from the snout for free Cool so I sanded it down and coated it in bed liner. A trip to the hardware store got me all the stuff needed to press the MPS hub on the snout. I needed a way to keep the shaft from turning so I could press the hub on all the way, so I made a wood block to fit on the coupler end of the shaft. That did the job.

I polished the N* adapter plate.

Next step was to polish the snout bolt heads and cut the bottom two bolts so they sit flush with the port. After that I threw the rotor pack into the case, put the new coupler on, and sealed the snout to the rotor pack. Hereís the finished product, ready to bolt on Twisted Evil

February 2009:

Got a rollmaster double roller timing set.

I picked up a busted Cobra intercooler reservoir and attempted to fix it with plastic weld. That ended in failure. I tried again with some epoxy, it was a stronger fix but it failed yet again. I ran out of ideas, so I put it back on the shelf Laughing

March 2009:

Not much happened this month, Iíve been working on polishing up the LIM bolts for a few weeks now. Again, thereís close to an hours worth of work in each bolt. Iím getting pretty good at this whole polishing thing now Very Happy

April 2009:

Picked up an L67 gasket set and ZZP fuel pump re-wire.

May 2009:

Top swap intermission Laughing

June 2009:

Bought a ZZP machined LIM

Outlets before porting

Also got a bunch of random thingsÖEGR block off, magnetic drain plug, 180* drilled t-stat, intake end cap gasket, injector clips, crank and cam bolt.

July 2009:

Bought a polished Meziere Electric water pump. HD version with the EP harness. Sexy.

Picked up the rest of the random engine bolts for polishing at the junk yard.

Bought and polished a T-stat housing.

August 2009:

Bought a set of (Ford Racing) Bosch Green Top injectors. These have a better spray pattern and flow slightly more fuel than the Lucas 42.5# injectors that ZZP sells.

Got some black anodized PRJ fuel rails that will compliment my engine bay nicely Cool

Did a little polishing on the IC core Cool Iím not sure if its quite where I want it to be so I might spend a little more time with it this winter.

Update: 10/14/2009

I love getting packages from ZZP Twisted Evil

New oil pan:

Autolite 103 plugs:

PRJ spark plug wires:

Update: 11/28/2009

Got all the stuff to convert my fuel lines to braided stainless lines:

10ft of -6AN braided fuel line

Fittings for the return line (top) and supply line (bottom) along with some clamps to secure the line

Swagelok hard line adapters

Bought a 3.2 pulley for dirt cheap Very Happy

Picked this bad boy up....fo' free! Cool

It's from a 2000 regal with about 109k miles on it, it's suspected to have a bad 4th hub (got a line on a new one for the cost of shipping Very Happy ). I got the converter, dipstick, and all brackets/bolts to go along with it, also. It drives fine up until 3rd but it doesn't have OD. Plan is to use it as a core for my TEP build in a few years. I may tear into it just for s**t and giggles when I get the time.

I found some time to tear the bumper off to get an idea of what needs to happen to make this FMHE work. I think it's do-able.

I need to slip the front bumper back on to make my final decision but the way its mounted now it looks like I will have to trim a good chunk of the bumper cover off. If that's the case I'll be cutting up the metal bumper to raise it up a few inches.

Some more pics of the clearances, the tabs on the radiator support will probably get ground down as well so I can move it more towards the condenser.

I'll probably weld on a piece of steel to the hood latch support and modify the mounting tab a wee bit.

Once I throw this POS (a.k.a. the secondary air pump) in the garbage, i'll try to modify it's mount to work with my IC pump. The pump will get mounted here either way.

Update: 12/11/2009

Got a few packages from ZZP this week Twisted Evil

Oil volume kit

3" TOG style DP

and a set of ZZP Headers Twisted Evil

They won't look like that for long though...i'm throwing them into the truck and heading to Swaintech next week to get them coated with some white lightning Very Happy

I also got my alternator disassembled and ready to start polishing.

Update 12/23/2009

The alternator is about 60% done, I got one half of the case polished up the other needs a few more hours with the dremel before I can start polishing. I ran out of polishing disks so once I find some more I can finish it up.

Got my last package from ZZP Very Happy

Oversized radiator

I got a phone call from Swaintech yesterday letting me know my headers were done so I headed out there to pick them up this morning. It wound up costing me $270 ($120 less than what jet-hot wanted for coating).

The coating is actually a silvery white color and has the texture of a medium grit sand paper. In its current state I think they'll look pretty good in the engine bay but I imagine they will turn a nasty brown color over time. Guess i'll find out Laughing My only complaint is that they left a decent amount of sand inside the headers that i'll probably need to wash out somehow before I put them on, other than that it was a great experience. They originally quoted me 2.5 weeks to do the coating and it only took them a week.

Update: 1/4/2010

My TEP ported heads have arrived! Hang Head 2

Before the transformation:

After: Cool

My port matched ZZP machined intake came too

Last but not least, my LC-1 wideband kit

Complete with a little red button...don't push the little red button Laughing

Update: 1/26/2010

Out with the old (Mustang Cobra IC reservoir)

In with the new (Magnuson IC reservoir)

It has a slightly larger volume, it's easier to mount, and it doesn't piss me off with it's broken-ness like the cobra res does Laughing

New valve cover bolts on the left, retainer/washer in the middle (will be polished sooner or later), stock valve cover bolt on the right.

This little guy is going to help me keep an eye on the IC system. One probe will go in the inlet of the IC core and the other in the outlet so I can monitor inlet vs. outlet temps which will let me know if my pump stops working. I was a little skeptical at first as the website picture made it look huge and ugly but it looks a lot better in real life and it was only $14 so you can't really go wrong Laughing

Machined crankshaft gear, the chamfer was machined on the rollmaster gear to macth the stock gear.

New coolant overflow bottle, complete set of L67 vac lines, new FPR, the rest of the misc. bolts needed.

Update: 2/12/2010

Polished the washers for the valve cover bolts.

Polished alternator, driver side upper engine mount, and t-stat bolts.

The ZZP machined LIM comes with the TB coolant passages welded shut. Welding those passages shut limits the amount of coolant that can flow to the rear head as the TB passage is one of two passages that feeds the rear head. So I opened up the other passage (behind the intake end cap)

Before:

After:

Then I painted it silver

And polished the end cap

Update: 3/5/2010

The last big order

O2 sensor, belts, pulleys, tensioner, air filter, head bolts, head gaskets, HPtuners Very Happy, and an oil level sensor in the form of a dip stick Laughing

Box from ZSPOT....L67 style flex plate, oil dipstick tube, more random bolts.

Picked up some brass fittings for the FMHE

Did a little work on the bumper, cut the bottom off to raise the FMHE up

Welded a piece of angle iron on the back of the bumper to finish up mounting the heat exchanger

Picture of how it's going to mount up, I still need to drill the holes for the bolts and cut some of the bracket off.

"Fins" on either side of the radiator cut off to clear the tanks on the heat exchanger.

Update: 3/6/2010

Got the FMHE installed.

Trimmed the lower bumper support

And carved out a little bit of the foam support

Last edited by nightryder on Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:27 pm; edited 13 times in total
snook
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1985 Chevrolet Blazer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Very nice. I like how your taking your time and getting all the details, thats how I am. You might as well do all that now before you put it on. I'll be curious to see what it runs.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That is going to look awesome when its all installed. I'm really digging the engine cover.

What's your plan for the PCM tune?

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
WagonMafia02
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.32

2002 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Great work, lookin forward to seeng it all installed!

CaStylin
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.71

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

that Black SC and polished acents is just sexy... kinda makes me want one

shagnwagon
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 1.04

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Im jealous Night. Hope all goes well, and cant wait to see the finished product.
Sabrewings
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 3.98

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's great to see this start coming out. I've been getting sneak peaks for over a year now. I'm foaming to see it all put together. Going to be a work of art 3800. Very Happy

Still Imp'n, just with a different Imp.
nightryder
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.82

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks guys Cool

You have no idea how tempting it was to swap it over the summer, It's a good thing trannyman has had my heads and LIM since July. I'm not usually an emotional kind of guy but I think I may shed a few tears of joy when its all put together Laughing

snook wrote:
I'll be curious to see what it runs.

I hoping for high 12's when its all said and done.

IffyG wrote:
That is going to look awesome when its all installed. I'm really digging the engine cover.

It's not done yet Twisted Evil The ribs will be filled in with bondo and painted silver with a c-pillar Impala emblem inlaid over the cover's bolt hole. The rest will be painted black with the lettering painted chrome.

IffyG wrote:

Will is going send me a tuned PCM that will suffice to get it running and broken in, once i'm certain it will make the trip to Toronto i'll be heading up there to have Will dial it in with the wideband. I will eventually get HPtuners so I can make small changes after that. If I can find an 03+ tranny for CHEAP and the funds allow I will go that route. Otherwise the stock tranny is staying in and it'll be tuned conservative for a year or so until the TEP tranny goes in.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nightryder wrote:

IffyG wrote:

It's not done yet Twisted Evil The ribs will be filled in with bondo and painted silver with a c-pillar Impala emblem inlaid over the cover's bolt hole. The rest will be painted black with the lettering painted chrome.

IffyG wrote:

Will is going send me a tuned PCM that will suffice to get it running and broken in, once i'm certain it will make the trip to Toronto i'll be heading up there to have Will dial it in with the wideband. I will eventually get HPtuners so I can make small changes after that. If I can find an 03+ tranny for CHEAP and the funds allow I will go that route. Otherwise the stock tranny is staying in and it'll be tuned conservative for a year or so until the TEP tranny goes in.

Keep us updated on the engine cover. Even as it stands now, it's one of my favorites.

Good luck with the tune, issues surrounding the tune on a 02 Monte Carlo killed my top swap dream.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
autogeek23
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.48

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

WOW. i knew you had plans. but damn. serious professional grade plans

RacePala
xnick
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.13

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

the pics are good... but I actually got to touch these parts, so you can all suck it.

cant wait to see this build complete, im definitely hopping in for a run down the track after you get the kinks worked out and go WOT on it

tstephens11 wrote:
karma's a f***ing bitch.
myimpala88
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 1.98

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Clap
Wurme
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Clap Wow! looks amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product.
HotSauce6226
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Diamond Contributor (Amount: 1) Diamond Contributor

Posts per day: 1.49

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wow..Great Job...keep it up.

shagnwagon
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 1.04

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
nightryder wrote:

IffyG wrote:

IffyG wrote:

Keep us updated on the engine cover. Even as it stands now, it's one of my favorites.

Good luck with the tune, issues surrounding the tune on a 02 Monte Carlo killed my top swap dream.

Now this thread is rekindling old flames for me atleast. Ugh, I hate this site. Its not teaching me good money management skills. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Power Adders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 1 of 33

Jump to: