NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - passlock - still a big problem
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

passlock - still a big problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vv111y

Posts per day: 0

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject:  passlock - still a big problem Reply with quote

http://www.carcomplaints.com/C.....ndex.shtml

Okay, the top category - electrical - is almost all the passlock system. Look at how much it stands out. This is a big problem.

I bugged the dealer, and I bugged GM's complaint department. I tried to convince them that they should disable the system. My rationale is that I want a fully reliable car and their current fix is far from reliable. (I should add that my Sister had repair work done 3 times. 2 years later it is acting up again). No surprise I got nowhere.

This should be a recall. Anyways, the complaints department said that we could snail mail to GM. For Canadians it's:

GM
1908 Colonel Sam Drive
Oshawa, ON
L1H 8P7

Sorry, don't have the US address.
Anyone have experience with class actions suites?
I am open to any suggestions - class action, work around, or anything else.
My #1 priority is to have a car I can rely on.

bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good luck with the class action suit... if you are even successful, the lawyers will make lots of money and you'll see next to nothing for your trouble

Is it your passlock sensor or your BCM? If it's your BCM, your only option is to replace it. If it's the passlock sensor, you can bypass it

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
snoggle

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject:  If it is a passlock problem, here's how I fixed mine Reply with quote

BB is right, class action lawsuits mainly benefit lawyers.

Here's how to fix passlock problems on Impalas. This will restore the car to factory specs with the passlock function intact. Mine would show security light when driving, and occasionally would not start. I would wait 10 minutes and try again and it would start.

http://www.sparkys-answers.com.....light.html

Parts needed:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IZ0VVK

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9SA60

$20 to locksmith to rekey new cylinder so I didn't have to carry 2 keys, 1 for doors and 1 for new ignition cylinder.

$5 tip to sparky for an excellent write up on how to fix it, with great photos.

Did passlock relearn after parts replacement and car starts every time now.

Ignition switch was not the root of my problem but is a common failure so I replaced it while I replaced the passlock sensor/key cylinder.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There's no need to change the ignition switch if you're not having problems with the ignition switch as well. The Passlock sensor is in the ignition cylinder.

I wrote about this a few years ago and people keep writing new threads with different ideas that make no sense.

I'm past the point of throwing parts at my car, but apparently some people aren't. Wink

snoggle

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject:  Searched this site for passlock help when I had my problem Reply with quote

I found some clues and help, but nothing as clear as the link I posted. I wish I had written it. He includes troubleshooting so you are not "throwing parts at the problem". But the end of his fault tree basically says "throw these parts at the problem, replace passlock sensor, and ignition switch to save labor of repeating nearly the same operation later when the ignition switch fails". It worked for me.

And for someone like me with Amazon Prime, it is a great place to get the parts.

I'm slightly sorry for bothering to share good links.
t3chn06789
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.22

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have this same problem but my car has never made me wait 10 mins to turn on(for now)

I read and searched for 1 week and i found out the answer a couple of months ago..

Basically you dont buy anything
You just need a soldering iron...

Theres 3 wires from the passlock sensor to the igntion (something like that) that you just have to solder together because they used cheap connectors to connect the passlock sensor and after time it gets corrision?

I never tried it but i read other peoples reviews that it worked..

Solder 3 wires..yellow black? ___ ??

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.56

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
There's no need to change the ignition switch if you're not having problems with the ignition switch as well. The Passlock sensor is in the ignition cylinder.

I wrote about this a few years ago and people keep writing new threads with different ideas that make no sense.

I'm past the point of throwing parts at my car, but apparently some people aren't. Wink

Sadly for me throwing parts at the car got me further than trips to the dealer when I couldn't figure out why my radio wouldn't shut off. Although I do have a perfectly good used ignition switch for sale... Laughing

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
vv111y

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pardon my non-response. Having family emergency...

Ok a lawsuit of some kind was not to get any money but to compel GM to do a recall - as they should. However, I realize I won't even have enough time to repair this myself let alone try and agitate GM to act .

So there is some good advice, and I would like to flesh this out before I go to a garage to get the work done. Two possible routes I see are finding a garage who already has experience with this, or to get some info here and take it to a guy who is wiling to study.

1) Does anyone know of a good garage in the Niagara Region?

2) Of the options you guys mentioned, which has the best outcome. By best I mean that this will likely never show up again - I can be confident that the car will always start (I always keep it maintained).
-Bypass, no bypass
- throw parts
- Frank, could you provide a link?
- t3cn0, I have heard that this is hit and miss

thanks for the replies

Jayme
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have done the bypass on an 01 Alero which has a passlock system very similar (if not exactly the same) as the Impala.
It's been bypassed for about 3 years now, and starts the first try, every time.

Start them out right...
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Besides what other people have said about electrical contact cleaner...

Get new keys, if that doesn't work, get the pins in your cylinder replaced. If that doesn't fix it, replace the cylinder itself and get it rekeyed...

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....amp;t=8730

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.56

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Besides what other people have said about electrical contact cleaner...

Get new keys, if that doesn't work, get the pins in your cylinder replaced. If that doesn't fix it, replace the cylinder itself and get it rekeyed...

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....amp;t=8730

When I swapped my cylinder out I got it from a guy on eBay. It was 100 bucks or so shipped and it came keyed already. Sure I have a key for the ignition and key for the locks, but it beat buying an uncoded cylinder and then paying a locksmith more money to key it for me. I had been having intermittent security light issues before I changed out the cylinder and that has gone away (3+ months and no security light).

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I bought my cylinder for about $130 and only paid $18 to have it keyed. If I got new keys (and not copies), it may have fixed the problem on its own...absent that, I might have been able to have my cylinder rekeyed as well and fixed that problem.

I'm saying if you can do it for $40, why bother with the new cylinder? I did it, but I didn't think everything through fully. If you want a new cylinder or you don't want matching keys - go for it.

autogeek23
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.47

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i too have the no start for ten min problem. i read in a past thread you cut the yellow wire and tap into the black wire. measure resistance from the yellow leading from the ignition sw and the black wire then buy a resistor close to that resistor then solder it from the yellow leading from the ignition sw to the black wire. the security light will stay on forever though. i havent done anything to mess with mine yet

RacePala
Elrevolvo

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok, this might be a dumb suggestion, but what if you installed a remote starter system in the car, then just started it with that.
Not sure how they work exactly, but it just popped into my head.
vv111y

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.

Update: I did finally take the time to do the workaround.
Here's the thing - my car started even though I hadn't re-wired it. I started it several times while the yellow wire was cut. Go figure. I wonder if you even need the resistor or wire it back up.
Anyways, it's going good.

Also, what I did was to solder on extra lengths of wire - about 6' - for the black and both ends of the yellow. I rolled up the excess and tucked it in an empty space. That way if I ever need to make a change I don't have to pull the whole thing apart again -PITA. I used a pot too so that I can adjust the resistance as time goes on. Only prob with that is the pot wiggles around about (can't quite remember) 50ohms. Still works.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: