NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - HELP! Totaled my 2003 Sport Appearance Package
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

HELP! Totaled my 2003 Sport Appearance Package
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davaughan

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject:  HELP! Totaled my 2003 Sport Appearance Package Reply with quote

Last weekend, some jerk ran into my car. Everything still works, and it drives straight down the road, but the drivers side front wheel has a considerable amount of negative camber. As the damage exceeds $7,000, my insurance is going to total it.

Basically, I've got the car that appears in the upper left hand corner of the banner, the flagship for that year, and the precursor to the SS.

The problem is, that they are basing the value of of a regular impala and not the Sport Appearance Package. When I disputed, they told me to find my exact car within 100 miles (and only in the same state) for sale for them to evaluate. I cannot find any Sport Appearance Packages within 100 miles. The ones that I do find outside of 100 miles, with comparable mileage, are going for more than what the insurance is offering.

I think an underlying problem with the devaluation is the ambiguity of this model, along with the fact that Chevy offered 'Sport' Packages in 02 and 04 that were purely cosmetic. I know a lot of you are going to say that the '03 was also purely cosmetic, but several different sources (including GM literature) indicate several other options that the car has. These options include tighter steering ratio, lowered front suspension, firmer suspension, brake cooling ducts, strut tower braces etc... If you've driven one, you know that the package is more than just looks.

Does anyone have a definitive list of characteristics that the '03 Sport Appearance Package has that the base model does not? My insurance company thinks that I'm trying to over inflate the value. The already bumped it from $6000 to $6700, but Kelly bluebook say's an Impala with the same options and mileage retails at $7,615, and this is without the option to choose the appearance package. NADA say's $7,475 (they do have the option to choose the package, but once again, I feel that they don't know the true value). The sticker price on this car was $31K when I bought it!

Thanks all in advance, I'll post some pictures of pre and post damage.

I feel like I'm getting my car stolen from me!
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I really hate to burst our bubble, but the Sport Appearance Package was cosmetic in all years...

The package includes:
Front lip extension, 6 gauge cluster, interior graphite trim, 16" Diamond cut rims, Chrome Exhaust Tip, and Taillight covers

Here's GM's description for 2003

http://media.gm.com/ca/gm/en/p.....mpala.html

Good luck with the insurance company, it's an uphill battle especially since the LS and LS Sport are nearly the same car

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.26

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Agreed. I believe that the only trim level in 2003 to get better anything,.. was the 9C1/9C3.

Now that doesn't remove the fact that the LS sport has VERY expensive exterior options. Such as the tail light covers and front lip extension. But not enough to really catagorize it anything but an LS.

Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.62

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Dodge Magnum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

are the tail light covers damaged? LOL I want them if they total the car and theyre still good! lol Twisted Evil

helldorado wrote:
EMMJAY, your car is coming together nicely as well!

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY, you and I have always had the same taste in cars Hang Head 2
GOTIT4CHEAP16
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.79

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yea is the from bumper damaged too? If its not, i wanna buy it.

Mods: 3.0 MPS | Gen V | N* TB | LQ4 MAF | 130# Springs | XP Cam | |Stage 3 Ported Heads| Roller Master Double Timing Set | CAI | PRJ Wires | AL104 | Speed Daddy Headers | EGR Delete | ZZP Stage 2 Intercooler | 42lb Injectors |
13.4 @ 106

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3183434
wedebrook
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.74

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
1991 Chevrolet S10
2004 Chevrolet Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hey vultures... he doesn't get to take parts off the car unless he buys the entire car back from the insurance company

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
Danny_9C1
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.19

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If they offer you a decent buck for you car,go out and pick up a decent condition 9C1 Impala.They can be had for pretty cheap,esp from auction...A 9C3 would be even better.Mainly due to the fact that 9C3's were hardly ever used for patrol work.They were more used for undercover/detective cruisers.They will not have a bunch of holes in them,they will have carpet flooring,cloth split bench seats,ect....Plus they come in some nice colors.

I payed $4,600 for my '04 Impala.My car was is great shape and still is.I have added mods and other things that has brought the total cost of my car to well over $6,000...

Its all up to you,wish you luck Wink

1999 Chevy Z56 Tahoe PPV.2004 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor,
2007 Chevy 9C1 Impala.
WagonMafia02
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.31

2002 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Danny_9C1 wrote:
If they offer you a decent buck for you car,go out and pick up a decent condition 9C1 Impala.They can be had for pretty cheap,esp from auction...A 9C3 would be even better.Mainly due to the fact that 9C3's were hardly ever used for patrol work.They were more used for undercover/detective cruisers.They will not have a bunch of holes in them,they will have carpet flooring,cloth split bench seats,ect....Plus they come in some nice colors.

I payed $4,600 for my '04 Impala.My car was is great shape and still is.I have added mods and other things that has brought the total cost of my car to well over $6,000...

You added mods that made the cost of it $6,000 or you think by adding them that it is worth that now? If you think by adding mods to your car you are increasing it's value then you should stop now.

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

WagonMafia02 wrote:
Danny_9C1 wrote:

You added mods that made the cost of it $6,000 or you think by adding them that it is worth that now? If you think by adding mods to your car you are increasing it's value then you should stop now.

I think Danny meant the cost of the car plus mods, not necessarily the value.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.56

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
WagonMafia02 wrote:
Danny_9C1 wrote:

I think Danny meant the cost of the car plus mods, not necessarily the value.

I agree. Cost does not equal market value.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
davaughan

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not trying to argue, just pointing out some of the information (mis-information?) that's out there...

The LS Sport Appearance Package ($1495) adds brake cooling ducts, a strut-tower brace, a tire-inflation monitor, and extra gauges to a graphite-finish instrument panel; the package is distinguished by embroidered logos on door panels and floor mats, a body-color taillight panel, and chromed exhaust tips.

source : http://www.newcartestdrive.com.....iewID=2369 Review by Phil Berg (reprinted on various websites)

I've seen more options listed in the past, and maybe even in the 2003 Impala brochure, but can't find much else on the internet right now.

I may have been confused by options that are available on all LS.

Looks like 3800 differs from 3400 steering ratio in all models (not just Sport Appearance)
Steering ratio
3400 V6 engine: 15.2:1
3800 V6 engine: 13.3:1

source : http://www.new-cars.com/2003/c.....specs.html

Also all 3800 have the 'sport tuned' suspension?
The larger engine option is partnered with a tweaked ísportí suspension and a quicker steering ratio, blessing the Impala with a surprisingly responsive ride and almost agile handling.

source : http://www.canadiandriver.com/.....impala.htm

The only others Impalas that I've drove were most likely 3.4 L.

I still think they are lowballing, but in the end, I'll take what I can get.

Drove it away, and drove it for 2 days before taking it to the body shop.

Last edited by davaughan on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No Impala has brake cooling ducts (the holes in the bumper are for radiator cooling) and all pre-2004 (or maybe pre-2003, can't remember) Impalas have Strut Tower braces from the factory (and they are $20 from a dealer)... there is just some mis-information in those articles..

The FE2 (Handling Pkg) and FE3 (Sport Tuned) suspension were options on all LS Impalas if I remember correctly... and even if they weren't the entire GMPP handling kit is $200 (which is mostly FE3 parts). Steering ratio (and rack part number) is the same for FE2 & FE3 suspension...

And let's face it... if it was a $1500 option, it's worth about $100-$200 book value at this point...

Good luck with the insurance company...

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...

Last edited by bbengineer on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
crazydayz
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 1.78

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet S10
2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good luck....my base model impala was totaled a few months back and i got about 4k for it....So be happy with what you can get....
Could be worse.....The guy who hit you couldn't not had insurance...... Confused
BTW thats not as bad as mine was........Totaled at the scene............

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3352096
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2588642

Last edited by crazydayz on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
davaughan

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

crazydayz wrote:
Good luck....my base modle impala was totaled a few months back and i god about 4k for it....So be happy with what you can get....
Could be worse.....The guy who hit you couldn't not had insurance...... Confused

Guy who hit me had no real damage to his Ford F150, just a scuff on the front bumper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: