NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 11 second quarter mile? Really?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

11 second quarter mile? Really?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlewis73
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.07

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject:  11 second quarter mile? Really? Reply with quote

Due to unwillingness to spring for a new Shelby Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger, I have been talking to a representative from a well-known 3.8L performance shop about upgrading my 2001 Impala LS. Moreover, there is something about owning a sleeper that appeals to me...

I am told that it is possible to put an L36 Impala into the 11s with what appears to be about $8000 worth of upgrades, to include a turbo kit, better injectors, fuel pump mods, and a 4T65E transmission. Also, 3" catback exhaust and cam work. Does this sound realistic?

My goal is to have a something slightly quicker in acceleration compared to a stock Shelby Mustang, 370Z, or Camaro SS. Again, sleeper appeal...

The car is eight years old, in fairly good physical condition, and it just seems like a waste to trade it in and jump back into mega-debt for a sports car when I could get similar performance, new tires, some cosmetic work on the car for less than $10k.

Last edited by mlewis73 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.67

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject:  Re: 11 second quarter mile? Really? Reply with quote

mlewis73 wrote:

My goal is to have a something slightly quicker in acceleration compared to a stock Shelby Mustang, 370Z, or Camaro SS. Again, sleeper appeal...

The car is eight years old, in fairly good physical condition, and it just seems like a waste to trade it in and jump back into mega-debt for a sports car when I could get similar performance, new tires, some cosmetic work on the car for less than $10k.

I can't speak as to the validity of the 11 second claim, but I can say no matter how much money pour into an Impala, (a heavy FWD sedan) it is not going to come anywhere close to the handling and performance of a RWD sports car.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
mlewis73
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.07

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject:  Re: 11 second quarter mile? Really? Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:

I can't speak as to the validity of the 11 second claim, but I can say no matter how much money pour into an Impala, (a heavy FWD sedan) it is not going to come anywhere close to the handling and performance of a RWD sports car.

I understand that fact, and am OK with it. I don't anticipate having to deal with twisties in daily driving, and if someone is making true use of the handling a sports car provides in traffic on public roads, they're probably driving recklessly (my opinion). Not overly concerned about handling.

Mike

Last edited by mlewis73 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lingenfelter
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Yugo Tempo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

We have a few members here with some money put into forced induction that would have good input for you. Niteflite has a very nice car, and a few of the southern members do, too. I think 12's are reasonable for a streetable w-body, but I don't know about 11's.

GMPP Duals, GMPP Handling Kit, NAIOA FWI V2, Silverstar Hi/Lo/Fogs, Viper 5900 Remote Start/Security.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
shagnwagon
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 1.06

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Im not sure on 11s and a DD. I would be happy to see 13s.
04DetroitLS
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

you can do 11s
turbo kit/cam/ic done
mid to hi 11s you can still keep it fairly streetable (keep off the road in winters) anything else you'll loose the DD Razz

His dog ran away and didn't come back for a few hours on the first fire up too. It was awesome.

When babies cry and animals flee, you know you did something right Laughing

Signature truncated by system. Maximum of 6 lines allowed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
snook
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1985 Chevrolet Blazer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

04DetroitLS wrote:
you can do 11s
turbo kit/cam/ic done
mid to hi 11s you can still keep it fairly streetable (keep off the road in winters) anything else you'll loose the DD Razz

I still do't thing that will see 11's. Maybe low 12's....
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.62

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

snook wrote:
04DetroitLS wrote:
you can do 11s
turbo kit/cam/ic done

I still do't thing that will see 11's. Maybe low 12's....

Turbo.

https://www.zzperformance.com/.....;catid=109

500 WHP

10's are to be expected and 9's with an upgraded kit.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
snook
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1985 Chevrolet Blazer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Do you honestly believe that??? Look at the turbo guys on here, none in the 11's. They want to sell stuff.....
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

snook wrote:
Do you honestly believe that??? Look at the turbo guys on here, none in the 11's. They want to sell stuff.....

Yeah I do believe that. They all have a s**t cartuning kit as far as I know.

SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
snook
Member Level
Member Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1985 Chevrolet Blazer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Maybe, but its just not realistic to me to slap a turbo on a car with a cam/ic and it run 11's. The tranny will have to be upgraded, slicks, all kinds of factors other than just a turbo. Thats all I'm saying. You guys are making it seem so simple, there is a lot more involved than just a turbo.....Its expensive, time consuming, and with the money spent you could buy upgrades and make an even faster car. . The sleeper thing is great, but usually when you go that route you still are never satisfied. Not trying to get in a pissing match, I guess I'm just pesimistic...
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

snook wrote:
Maybe, but its just not realistic to me to slap a turbo on a car with a cam/ic and it run 11's. The tranny will have to be upgraded, slicks, all kinds of factors other than just a turbo. Thats all I'm saying. You guys are making it seem so simple, there is a lot more involved than just a turbo.....Its expensive, time consuming, and with the money spent you could buy upgrades and make an even faster car. . The sleeper thing is great, but usually when you go that route you still are never satisfied.

The OP obviously knows that it's not that simple since he mentioned that he would need an upgraded trans. The Stattama kit will put you in the 10s with the ST4 cam. There's an impala on ZZP's site that runs a 10.05 with that setup and slicks. It's definitely doable.

helldorado
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.57

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2005 Infiniti G35
2008 Subaru Impreza
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Toyota Space Cruiser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You certainly won't be running 11's on street tires. Nor will it stay a DD at those power levels. You can make power levels that will run 13's on street tires before you really start to lose a lot of the DD reliability and driveability.

There's a lot of design issues IMO with all the kits because they're trying to work around a platform not designed for big power. The more power you shoot for, items like axles, wheel hubs will be short lived, your upgraded transmission may not be bullet proof, and that's assuming you don't grenade the engine, crack a ring or bend a rod.

Also, nose heavy, FWD, 4 speed auto, open diff, narrow tires, not really a great recipe for a car to run 11's, and be streetable as a decent DD. Good look finding traction with any tire if you're trying to stick with the stock rims too. You'll need to go wider to get a better contact patch and suspension mods to keep your drive tires better planted.

If you don't want to drop a ton of money for a new car, why not buy a used car and turn it into a project vehicle? Then you still have a reliable DD that you can fall back on when you're doing work on the other.

04DetroitLS
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i still say 11s w/ a DD (minus rain/snow weather conditions) you can do for $8k (cammed)
theres a few used turbo kits for ~$2500 if you want to save some coin.
Go w/ a TEP trans w/ INTENSE input - dont even bother trying to argue otherwise...
Especially on the input, they're $100 cheaper FOR A REASON
but IMO, if you want to spend $8k, and have a DD
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/.....page=thumb
this^
+ MS4 cam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP5uefxVh8U
puts you well into the 12s, add other botlons + cage = 11s

dont forget if you go into the 11s youll need a cage for the Imp if you EVER want to take it to the track

His dog ran away and didn't come back for a few hours on the first fire up too. It was awesome.

When babies cry and animals flee, you know you did something right Laughing

Signature truncated by system. Maximum of 6 lines allowed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shagnwagon
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 1.06

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents, but if you cant drive it every day including, rain snow then its not a DD, then you would have to buy another car anyway to drive in rain/snow conditions. ( of course extremes like 5 foot water/ snow is different.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: