NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Low Coolant Light under 185...
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Low Coolant Light under 185...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ironmonkeygf

Posts per day: 0

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject:  Low Coolant Light under 185... Reply with quote

For the past few weeks, I've had the low coolant warning light on every time I start my car (unless it's still warm). The coolant level is good, and there are no leaks (anymore*). Once the temp gets to around 185 (t-stat temp?), the light goes out and stays out. Does this sound like the sensor is bad/dirty, or something else? It's odd to me that it's temperature dependent, rather than intermittent or always on.

Thanks for any help.

*There was a leak, which looked like the LIM gasket, but when I brought it in they said the gaskets were fine and that the leak was in the "elbow" between the upper and lower on the passenger side. That was fixed earlier this week, and I was hoping that the low coolant warning issue would go away when the leak was fixed, but it didn't.
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.27

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sounds like an air bubble. Try bleeding any air out of the sytem. And it wouldn't hurt to clean the level sensor as well. I've seen them gum up with having nasty coolant.

Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.13

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sensor location?

helldorado wrote:
I should be surprised at the lack of knowledge in this thread, but its NAIOA, so I'm not.

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
If you drive stupid, you die stupid.
bbengineer
NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.09

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

sh8dybizness wrote:
Sensor location?

It's on the passenger side of the back of the radiator, but you don't have one... only 2000-2002 have the level sensor

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
sh8dybizness
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.13

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bbengineer wrote:
sh8dybizness wrote:
Sensor location?

It's on the passenger side of the back of the radiator, but you don't have one... only 2000-2002 have the level sensor

BBEngineer

Oh, okay cool. So what does my year vehicle have?

helldorado wrote:
I should be surprised at the lack of knowledge in this thread, but its NAIOA, so I'm not.

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
If you drive stupid, you die stupid.
ironmonkeygf

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
Sounds like an air bubble. Try bleeding any air out of the sytem. And it wouldn't hurt to clean the level sensor as well. I've seen them gum up with having nasty coolant.

They replaced the coolant when they changed that leaky elbow and it's still acting the same, so I didn't think it was the problem, but I'll try it; thanks.
ironmonkeygf

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I tried bleeding the air, but that doesn't seem to have helped. I didn't try cleaning the sensor, yet...I'm not looking forward to draining the radiator. The impalahq howto said it wasn't necessary to drain the coolant from the radiator if you've got the replacement ready to go, but I assume it needs to be drained if you're taking the sensor out to clean it. Anyone have any good hacks for this (something to temporarily plug the sensor hole while cleaning, etc.)?
whosonfirst

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject:  Low coolant light stays on 4 minutes when cold. Reply with quote

I read the new Low Coolant Sensor info on this website. I located my low coolant sensor in my 2002 LS with the 3800 engine. I decided to clean it and see if that would fix the problem of the low coolant light coming on when cold. I removed the two stamped nuts holding the fuse box on the passenger side wheel well and lifted the fuse box up for more battery clearance. I removed the brace (3 bolts). I removed the battery hold down (1 bolt). I disconnected the battery. I weasled the battery out of the car. Now I had easy access to the low coolant sensor. I struggled to remove the wire clip that secures the sensor to the radiatior. The clip pulls out to the left after prying each end free. I had a wine bottle cork and jammed it in the hole after wiggling the low coolant sensor loose. I then removed the weather proof electrical connector to the sensor. I lost a small amount of coolant that went into a pan under the car. Looking at the sensor I could see gunk around a single brass looking probe that is soaked in the coolant. I used engine degreaser and shop towels to clean it up like new. I took a small bladed knife and scratched the sides of the brass probe. I lubed the orings on the sensor and installed the clip on the sensor. I positioned the sensor next to the cork in the radiator and swapped them losing little coolant. I put anti-ceaze compound on the screws to make it easier next time I have to remove the low coolant sensor. The low coolant light now stays off and I saved $200 -$1000 depending on what a dealer or mechanic shop would have raked me over with. That pays for the lousy BCM job I got killed on (see bcm post).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: