NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Quad Tails Question Thread
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Quad Tails Question Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject:  Quad Tails Question Thread Reply with quote

I have been debating back and forth for a long time whether or not to attempt this mod. I have almost convinced myself the only thing holding me back is the fact that i feel i dont have 100% clear directions. I know that i am not alone on this and decided to start an official questions thread dealing with the quad tail lights for all of those life me who want to do this mod but dont feel comfortable yet. So hopefully this thread will clear up most, if not all, of the questions that people who have not completed this mod have to ask.

Yes i realise there are several threads on the Quads, but none specifically designed to have people who want to attempt the mod ASK THOSE who have completed the mod. Hopefully at the end of this thread everyone will have a clear understanding of how to complete quad tails.

Here are links to most of the informal Quad threads:
http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....=quad+tail - ScottMPala's reverse lights (Eclipse/Talon)
http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....=quad+tail - imp's reverse lights (Corvette)
http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....=quad+tail - bigrod118's setup
http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....mp;start=0 - HotSauce6226 setup

I'm going to post the official walkthrough that BBE has developed which has been used by most of the people that have successfully completed this mod as well as other helpful posts from fellow forum members that have completed this mod that might help.

**The goal of this thread is to provide good instructions and have members that have questions ASK other members that have completed the mod. With this, hopefully future members who come to the site will have a better grasp on how to complete the mod. I will also be updating this thread when i attemp the mod with my own instructions.

SO LETS BEGIN

Instructions from http://www.bbengineer.com/cars.....lights.htm (Thanks to BBE for helpful instructions and parts list)

Taillight Panel Procedure

Prep the center taillight

*Start with the center taillight lense and remove the bulb carriers and harness
*Using a rotoZip or Dremel, cut the reflector off the back of the lense. Make the cut about an 1/8" larger than the reflector ring. Be careful not to go too deep and cut the front lense.

*Clean up the freshly cut edge using a utility knife to remove any rough spots or excess material.

Create the reflector housings

*Measure the diameter of the hole that was just cut for the reflector. This will be the diameter of the housing lip
*Measure the same diameter in the inside of the acrylic bowl and mark a line around the entire bowl
*Using the rotoZip, cut the acrylic bowl along the line you just drew
*Test fit the acrylic bowl onto the lense and make any adjustments needed using the rotoZip and a bench grinder. The bottom side of the lense sits closer to the trunk lid, so more material should be remove from that side of the lense.
*Once the acrylic bowls fit to the lense, make a pattern using the bulb socket and a piece of cardboard. This will allow the hole for the bulb carrier to be transferred to the back of the housing.
*Trace the bulb carrier hole (with the ears) to the back of the housing. Be sure you align it so that you will be able to remove the carrier once the harness is in place.
*Using a 1" hole saw, cut out the center of the bulb carrier hole. Then use the rotoZip to cut out the ears. Test fit the bulb carrier and make adjustments using the rotoZip
*Using the primer, evenly and complete coat the inside of the acrylic bowl housing. Once dry, coat the inside with the chrome spray paint.

Putting it together

Here is a picture of most of the parts to make the taillight lenses active. Notice that the original lense reflectors have been cut out already.

Here is a picture of new housing assembled onto the lense with the bulb carriers and wiring attached.

NOW A LITTLE Q AND A
-I will be Editing the Q/A when new questions and answers arise, for now i will begin by posting a couple of questions i had, the whole goal is for anyone and everyone to ask and answer questions. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTRIBUTE if you have any useful information.

Questions regarding fabrication

-Q. I never really understood the setup of the housing, primarily what these parts are and how they are arranged in the housing?

-A. Quote from BBE "The parts sticking out of the reflectors are the M5 bolts that replace the studs are removed when you cut the reverse bulb carrier out"

-Q. Why are my quads not as bright as the factory lights? -Inferno03LS
-A. Quote from imp "My guess is you didnt use enough Chrome spray paint."

-Q. Why did they look better the first time i did this mod? -Inferno03LS
-A.

-Q. Why did the epoxy drip onto the lens? -Inferno03LS
-A. Quote from imp "You didnt have a great seal or applied too much epoxy. "

-Q. Why do you use Plastic-weld? -Inferno03LS
-A. Quote from imp "Platsic-weld becuase the bowls are plastic and it will hold better."

-Q. Why epoxy? -Inferno03LS
-A.

-Q. Could the quad be used as just regular lights and not turn on with brakes? -Inferno03LS
-A. Quote from imp "Yes, You just have to wire them differently. Instead of wiring them into the blinker. Just wire them into the brake light."

-Q. Why use aluminum tin and not foil? -Inferno03LS
-A. Quote from imp "The tin is more heavier duty than the foil is. Im not sure if it matters for the reflection as well. Someone else might pop in and answer this one better."

-Q. Why doesnt the panel fit back correctly? -Inferno03LS
-A. Quote from imp "The bowls were not cut down enough. This might also be the reason why the are not as bright as the factory bulbs"

Questions regarding wiring

-Q. How do you actually wire the tail lights?
-A. Quote from BBE "Get three relays, a fuse holder, and some wire. Drive the relay coil off the tail light harness under the carpet on the right side of the trunk. Run a wire to the battery with the fuse and connect it to the relay feed wire. Connect each of the relay output to the new lights on the tail panel"

-Q. Can anyone explain the project box or provide instructions on how to set one up?
-A.Hotsauce provided some pictures as well as a diagram provided by Hemi in his thread. I will post the pictures here, for more detail go to his thread (At the top under "Here are links to most of the informal Quad threads")

-Q. I have seen BBE's sequenced tails, how does one accomlish this?
-A. Quote from BBE "I built custom circuits for the sequential effect.. you can buy commercial ones online.. try WebElectrics.com"

Thanks and hopefully this thread can contribute to clarifying this unique and eye catching mod. Feel free to PM me questions to add or just ask your questions by replying.

Last edited by Image on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
HotSauce6226
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Diamond Contributor (Amount: 1) Diamond Contributor

Posts per day: 1.47

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Most of the questions have been answered. I have a pic of EVERY step i did on the quad taillights.
Even the wiring diagram has been posted before. You have alot or searching to do

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

This is the exact reason i wanted to comprise all of the useful information into one thread so that someone looking to attempt this mod doesnt have to spend hours searching. Just trying to make this i little easier, also a quick way to comprise all of the questions into one thread rather than a new thread popping up everyone has a question.

If you have pictures to help answer some wiring questions or porject box questions please feel free to reply here or PM me so i can add them
wedebrook
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.75

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
1991 Chevrolet S10
2004 Chevrolet Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

good idea. i approve of this message.

Specter
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.47

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Very informative. If I ever have the know how to do this...and not get frusterated...I'd probably go with Imps setup. It keeps the same concept of the body, but with a little twist. Hidden reverse lamps. Cool

HotSauce6226
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Image wrote:
This is the exact reason i wanted to comprise all of the useful information into one thread so that someone looking to attempt this mod doesnt have to spend hours searching. Just trying to make this i little easier, also a quick way to comprise all of the questions into one thread rather than a new thread popping up everyone has a question.

If you have pictures to help answer some wiring questions or porject box questions please feel free to reply here or PM me so i can add them

Hours searching?
If you would of looked at the post i did, you would of seen the wiring and give you the answer to 2 of your questions.
Spend some time on my quad post

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....p;start=45

BBE's instructions are pretty good. If you really cant follow his directions, i say your going to have a hard time doing this mod.

financethis
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

some people are search nazis. they know its on here and only they know how to find their own posts. i think all the past threads should be combined and then made into a sticky. I agree that the search button brings up everything, rather than what your actually looking for.

ecko147
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i want to do this but dont want to f**k up my lights lol

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You have to learn how to use the search button

ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.48

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ecko147 wrote:

just buy another set off ebay first. Or at a local junkyard

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ecko147 wrote:

Then post up some questions you have that you are worried about. Thats the purpose of this thread.
HotSauce6226
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So 2 of your questions are answered. Time for an update

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was working on homework, i'll do that right now thanks for reminder and your contribution. Can you describe what the two steel rods are that i circled in the picture? Are those just alignment rods?
financethis
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Snif !  Reply with quote

talking to some of you is like hitting your head against a brick wall.
after a while is just hurts

HotSauce6226
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Snif !  Reply with quote

financethis wrote:
talking to some of you is like hitting your head against a brick wall.
after a while is just hurts

Elaborate....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: