NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Service vehicle soon light
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Service vehicle soon light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YOUNG_DIRTY954
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1991 Acura Legend
1991 Acura Legend

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject:  Service vehicle soon light Reply with quote

How do i reset it?

"IF IT AINT 22'S OR BETTER, THEN IT'S BOO-FA-LAY!!!" - YOUNG JEEZY
05imp
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Ford Ranger
2007 Ford Explorer
2008 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Find out what the code is and go from there? Auto zone offers a free code read Wink
So get it done and post the results up here.
chichi1985
Uber
Uber
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.2

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Dodge Avenger
1995 BMW 5 Series
2012 Volkswagen Golf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

SVS Light can only be read by a Tech II or similar device it is a BCM code not PCM so autozone cant help

I was told that if you place the car in on but not running and firm and slowly press the gas down to the floor three times in a 10sec time it will reset.

Depends on what it is, if the problem is still there it will not reset it because the BCM will still see the problem once the car starts
Sabrewings
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 4.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

chichi1985 wrote:
I was told that if you place the car in on but not running and firm and slowly press the gas down to the floor three times in a 10sec time it will reset.

That's how you reset the oil life monitor, and it's three times in five seconds.

You need to take it to a place with a higher end scanner (not Autozone or something) to see what is wrong.

Still Imp'n, just with a different Imp.
DoubleG

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject:  SVS Light Reply with quote

My daughter's 2000 Impala (3.4L) developed the same issue recently. No codes came up when scan tool was hooked up.

Two things:

I've read talk of it being a fault within the lighting circuit, but no light issues exist that I know of.

However, the owner's manual says: "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON - This message will come on if you have engine problems. These problems may not be obvious and may not affect vehicle performance or durability..."

A co-worker emissions tech says he recalls seeing this happen twice, with no codes. He ended up selecting 'erase codes' anyways, and it fixed the problem. Going to do the same on hers and see if I too have success.

outonthetiles
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.27

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1990 Volvo 240
2000 Buick Regal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It could be soooo many things. Have it scanned by someone with a tech II.

A bad fog light relay caused a SVS light in my car a while back..

2000 Impala LS: Getrag 284 Swapped
Dan
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.33

1991 Jeep Cherokee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You guys all have poor information. The MIL (Check Engine) by law can only be illuminated for events which cause, caused or can cause emissions to rise above a 150% threshold of acceptable limits. Because of this, manufacturers have to make their own additional lamps to notify drivers of other improper operating conditions. The Service Vehicle Soon lamp, and other lamps in other cars, will illuminate for other non-ABS and non-SRS faults, including communications problems, circuit failures and thousands of other operational issues. Not all codes or conditions will illuminate a lamp. Clearing codes without performing a repair or verifying conditions to set a code is not advised and can lead to great frustration.

If you don't know what you're doing, take your car to someone who does. Buying yourself a scantool won't make you a technician. Neither will a repair manual. But it'll help more than asking, "How do I turn off this light?"

70_Malibu
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject:  Re: Service vehicle soon light Reply with quote

YOUNG_DIRTY954 wrote:
How do i reset it?

If everything is fixed, I've found it'll go out by itself. Something's still wrong is my guess.

Take it to Autozone or Weaver or NAPA or O"Reilley's OR..., and get the code read and decipher:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

And fix the problem.

Smile

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.67

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject:  Re: Service vehicle soon light Reply with quote

70_Malibu wrote:

Take it to Autozone or Weaver or NAPA or O"Reilley's OR..., and get the code read and decipher:
Smile

If it was an SVS light, your local parts house won't be able to help you. You need a high quality scanner to read those codes.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
70_Malibu
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If it's a light on my dash that says "Service Engine Soon", I would take it wherever the heck I could to read why the computer is upset, and diagnose the problem myself.

Better? Smile

Bond32

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Service Vehicle Codes need to be read by a tech 2 tool which not everyone has. I have been battling with this issue for a few years now. I never got the code read, as I do not want to pay a diagnostic fee but I have read about the issue. There is a short with the light sensor which in turn causes the BCM to fault. I dug this up in a TSB somewhere, wish I had the link.

I am replacing my BCM tomorrow. In the TSB it states the older BCM's were outdated and the newer revisions solved the issue. I could be completely wrong but my car is doing the following:
Service Vehicle Soon light coming on and off with or without the engine running
Security light coming on and off occasionally
Traction Control coming on occasionally after putting the car in gear
Anti lock breaks coming on occasionally

All of those are controlled by the BCM (I believe). If anyone cares I will post a response after it is replaced tomorrow.

Edit: So I got the new/reman BCM and came home, thought I would put it in and do the relearn to see what happens. Got it put in and no longer have the service vehicle soon light so I know it was a bad bcm. I could not get the car to learn the new BCM though with my key so it will have to be programmed. I red where some people were able to do the relearn procedure and it worked fine, so thought it was worth a shot.

No big deal, I am taking it to a shop where they have the tech 2 tool and can do the reprogramming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: