NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Speaker Replacement Information
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Speaker Replacement Information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skater
Senior Level
Senior Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Mercury Cougar
1991 Ford Econoline

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject:  Speaker Replacement Information Reply with quote

(Moderators: Please sticky this.)

There've been a number of threads talking about speaker replacement, and we've learned some interesting things, so I thought I'd combine them into one handy thread so you can get all your pain in one place. Please try not to clutter this thread with discussion, but corrections/updates are welcome.

Note - the text below assumes the aftermarket speakers are 4 Ω (ohms), since most are. If you know of aftermarket automotive speakers (not subwoofers) that are 2 Ω or 8 Ω, please post the information below. However, I'd recommend against using aftermarket 2 Ω or 8 Ω speakers simply because they'd be incompatible with most or all aftermarket head units, so if you decided to upgrade your head unit later, you'd have to replace the speakers again.

Determining your speaker impedance

The easiest way to determine what impedance (ohms) your speakers are is to look in the trunk, at the bottoms of the 6x9s in the rear deck. They'll be marked either 2 Ω, 4 Ω, or 8 Ω. Before you do anything else, check that, because it'll help you figure out what you need from the information below.

If you have a 2000-2005 model, also check to see if you have the stock amp, if you don't already know (it's a silver box mounted on the rear deck between the 6x9s, hanging down in the trunk - don't worry; if it's there, you can't miss it).

2000-2005 models

The 2000-2005 models have either 4 Ω or 2 Ω speakers.

If you have stock 4 Ω speakers and wish to upgrade to aftermarket speakers, you're okay with just replacing them. Lucky you! Smile These seem to be in mostly 2000-2002 models (however, double check yours).

If you have stock 2 Ω speakers, when you upgrade to aftermarket speakers, you'll lose half of the volume. The 2 Ω speakers seem to be in the 2003-2005 models, regardless of whether you have the stock amplifier/6 speaker system (again, check your speakers to be sure).

Solutions for upgrading 2 Ω speakers:
1. Stick with stock. (Yeah, I know, this isn't an upgrade solution.)

2. New head unit with your new speakers. Most (all?) aftermarket head units are 4 Ω. However, if you have the stock amplifier, you'll probably want to either purchase the Metra amp bypass harness (70-2048) or rewire your speakers entirely. (I used almost 60 feet of wire to do mine - 20 for the fronts and nearly 40 for the rears. Tip: If you are going this route, I recommend running the wires for the rear speakers down the left side of the car. The reason is that if you ever add an amp, you'll almost certainly run that power wire down the right side of the car since that's where the battery and convenient grommet are.)
(To use the Metra harness, you plug it into one of the connectors at the amp, then run the wires to the back of the new head unit or your aftermarket amp. It's probably just as easy to wire the speakers directly if you're not planning to use an amp, and it's certainly cheaper - the harness is about $30.)

If you don't bypass the amp, either by using the Metra harness or rewiring the speakers directly, the aftermarket head unit you bought will feed speaker level into the stock amp, which will then garble your sound quality, fade your bass at high volumes, and club baby seals when you're not looking. So, you almost certainly want to bypass the amp.

3. Live with the reduced volume. But if you're looking for better sound quality, it's probably because you like to crank it up - and believe me, I could turn my volume up all the way and it still wasn't that loud...and at that point, the speakers begin to distort badly because the amp simply doesn't have enough power to drive them.

4. Get the line level output module (PAC's AOEM-GM24), which gives you front and rear line-level outputs from the stock head unit (this isn't speaker level converted to line level; it's true preamp output), then hook up an aftermarket amp. (It's possible for some years to get preamp outputs without the PAC converter, but not all. I won't go into this further since it's beyond the scope of speaker replacement, but a search of "AOEM-GM24" in NAIOA will turn up several useful threads on the topic.)

Wiring for the 2003-2005 front speakers if you have the 6 speaker system: The amp also serves as a crossover for the tweeters (which are mounted right next to the drivers in the front). If you pop off the grill in front of the speaker and remove the 6.5" speaker, you'll see a connector with four wires in it. My speakers from Crutchfield did not include a wiring connector for this; I had to cut the wires and splice in the wire that came with the speakers with the spade terminals. See this thread for pictures and more information.

2006+ models

Non-Bose systems: Five0two reports (in the 9th message down) that his 2006 speakers are...of all things... 8 Ω. I'm beginning to think GM doesn't want people upgrading their sound systems.

Replacing those with aftermarket speakers will overdrive the amplifier in the radio, possibly burning it out. Not good.

Solutions:
1. Stick with stock.
2. Aftermarket head unit + new speakers
3. Use home speakers - home speakers are available in 8 Ω models (but not all are 8 Ω so check before you buy), but you may run into mounting issues with them, and they may not be designed to work in the extreme temperatures that cars experience; for example, the direct sunlight on the 6x9s in the rear might be hard on a home speaker. (I'm just speculating here, I really don't know for sure.)

Bose systems in the 2006+ models: No information yet.

Last edited by skater on Sun May 25, 2008 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sabrewings
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 4.06

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Don't neglect simply running your own wires.

After doing this myself, the few hours of work to get it all tucked away nice and tight is worth it knowing upgrading anything in my sound system is that much easier.

Some of this may be 00-05 specific, but 06+ should be similar.

Trim panels are easy to remove. The doors are the "tree" fasteners and you should use a trim panel remover tool (a glorified pry bar). The trims around the doorways simply snap in and will come up with some assertive but steady pulling.

The rear speakers are only accessible by removing the rear deck, which requires removing the back seat. Several larger nuts and bolts hold down the back of the seat. The bottom cushion simply pulls up. Make sure to hang on to the black retainers it snaps in to!! Both Skater and I lost at least one when trying to push the seat back in to them while they were still in the floor. They fall through into that great beyond that is between the floor and underbody. Snap them on to the lower cushion, then push that down to the floor. If you do lose one, they're not expensive at a dealer. And I've never heard mine rattling around under there, so you'll probably never notice.

Still Imp'n, just with a different Imp.
Loaded05
Member Level
Member Level
Elite Contributor (Amount: 1) Elite Contributor

Posts per day: 0.32

2010 Hyundai Coupe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject:  Re: Speaker Replacement Information Reply with quote

Skater wrote:

If you have stock 2 Ω speakers, when you upgrade to aftermarket speakers, you'll lose half of the volume.

Why not find aftermarket speakers with 3dB higher sensitivity (1W@1M) than the stockers and lose zero volume. Remember that the stock speakers are not "audiophile" by any stretch of the imagination and are mass produced by GM. I would guess that the sensitivity of the stockers is between 86 and 88 dB (1 watt @ 1 meter). Just find quality replacements with a sensitivity rating of 90 dB or above and you should hear no loss in volume and increased clarity.

Umm.. You're going to want to wack it harder.. And maybe faster. Use some lubricant too.
skater
Senior Level
Senior Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Mercury Cougar
1991 Ford Econoline

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject:  Re: Speaker Replacement Information Reply with quote

Loaded05 wrote:
Skater wrote:

If you have stock 2 Ω speakers, when you upgrade to aftermarket speakers, you'll lose half of the volume.

Why not find aftermarket speakers with 3dB higher sensitivity (1W@1M) than the stockers and lose zero volume. Remember that the stock speakers are not "audiophile" by any stretch of the imagination and are mass produced by GM. I would guess that the sensitivity of the stockers is between 86 and 88 dB (1 watt @ 1 meter). Just find quality replacements with a sensitivity rating of 90 dB or above and you should hear no loss in volume and increased clarity.

The sensitivity ratings of my aftermarket speakers are 93 dB in the rear and 92 dB in the front.

saxart
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Quote:
"If you have stock 4 Ω speakers and wish to upgrade to aftermarket speakers, you're okay with just replacing them. Lucky you! These seem to be in mostly 2000-2002 models (however, double check yours). "

My 2004 has 4Ω speakers, so at some point they must have went back to the (more easily replaced 4's)

Just an FYI....
O5imp

Posts per day: -0

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

saxart wrote:
Quote:
"If you have stock 4 Ω speakers and wish to upgrade to aftermarket speakers, you're okay with just replacing them. Lucky you! These seem to be in mostly 2000-2002 models (however, double check yours). "

My 2004 has 4Ω speakers, so at some point they must have went back to the (more easily replaced 4's)

Just an FYI....

They are optioned with 4 or 2 Ohm systems. It doesnt matter what trim lvl you have, GM let you pick ill assume because the 2 ohm system is an upgrade and I have it in my 2005 Base trim Impala. The RPO code is UQ3. I was dumb enough to buy Type-R Alpines for replacements before finding out that the headunit wasnt compatible. The treble clarity is excellent but yes--your bass quality will be lost if you keep stock headunit and amp with the UQ3 system. However, I have ordered the Metra GMRC01 adapter because I wanted to keep the car as stock and fully operational as possible and I got to thinking, instead of running your own wires to the speakers to bypass the amp, why not use the factory wiring running into the amp and then at the amp cut and splice the wires coming into the amp to the ones coming out the amp back to the speakers thus bypassing the amp and saving alot of time not taking panels off to run wires.
skater
Senior Level
Senior Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Mercury Cougar
1991 Ford Econoline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

O5imp wrote:
...instead of running your own wires to the speakers to bypass the amp, why not use the factory wiring running into the amp and then at the amp cut and splice the wires coming into the amp to the ones coming out the amp back to the speakers thus bypassing the amp and saving alot of time not taking panels off to run wires.

Because it doesn't do any good. When I tried that it didn't make any difference, with the stock head unit that is (presumably the stock H/U is also set to work with 2 ohm speakers).

O5imp

Posts per day: -0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Oh, yeah I knew that, I was meaning with aftermarket H/U. Basically the H/U and Amp are the two components thats producing the 2ohm signal across the wires, I figure you just hookup the aftermarket H/U to the adaptor using stock wire harness and then go back to the amp, see if the wires change color for the corresponding speakers coming out of the amp (just look at the color wires connecting to the speakers) and hook them up to the right ones. Bypassing the amp with aftermarket equipment using stock wiring. That is if no one minds butchering up a bit. I always leave a bit of space between the connector and my cut so everything can be re-connected if need be.
skater
Senior Level
Senior Level

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Mercury Cougar
1991 Ford Econoline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

O5imp wrote:
Oh, yeah I knew that, I was meaning with aftermarket H/U. Basically the H/U and Amp are the two components thats producing the 2ohm signal across the wires, I figure you just hookup the aftermarket H/U to the adaptor using stock wire harness and then go back to the amp, see if the wires change color for the corresponding speakers coming out of the amp (just look at the color wires connecting to the speakers) and hook them up to the right ones. Bypassing the amp with aftermarket equipment using stock wiring. That is if no one minds butchering up a bit. I always leave a bit of space between the connector and my cut so everything can be re-connected if need be.

You're right, that will work. I chose not to follow that route for simplicity and to reduce the amount of hacking into wires I had to do. Also, it's a lot of extra unnecessary wire between the head unit and the speaker.

jzwicewi

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have the stock 2 Ohm 6"x9" in the rear deck with the factory amp. I'm looking to replace the rear speakers. If I use 2Ohm aftermarket speakers like the set I'll link below will that work without the same reduction in volume as using a normal aftermarket speaker?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catal.....amp;catid=

or

Both pairs are 2Ohms... so I am thinking they would work fine but I just want to confirm here that it should work before I spend the money and time doing this upgrade.
HotSauce6226
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Diamond Contributor (Amount: 1) Diamond Contributor

Posts per day: 1.52

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

jzwicewi wrote:
I have the stock 2 Ohm 6"x9" in the rear deck with the factory amp. I'm looking to replace the rear speakers. If I use 2Ohm aftermarket speakers like the set I'll link below will that work without the same reduction in volume as using a normal aftermarket speaker?

or

Both pairs are 2Ohms... so I am thinking they would work fine but I just want to confirm here that it should work before I spend the money and time doing this upgrade.

Yes will work fine

Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.1

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have 2 ohm speakers and the factory amp. Replacing the head unit or the amp is not an option. I know the Infinity speakers mentioned early are 2 ohm, so the rears can can easily be swapped, at least according to Crutchfield. What about the fronts? Can I just swap them and get a speaker wire adapter, or will I need to run new wires? Or is it hopeless?

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. K&N Air filter. Can't do much else on a hybrid.

Totaled 9/19/2016 - 2004 Impala SS, Performance Car - ZZP ECM 1.0, 3.4" Pulley, K&N Cold Air Intake, TOG Headers, Random Technology Hi-Flow Cat, SLP Power-Flo Cat-Back Exhaust, Autolite 104s, PRJ Performance Ignition wires, GMPP Handling Kit
CollegeImpala
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

is there anyway to tell without taking the paneling off? like checking the vin or something?

System: Only 1 signature image allowed, Image auto removed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: