NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Got HID???
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Got HID???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloSS
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 2.66

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:  Got HID??? Reply with quote

I do!

Well, i bit the bullet and purchased a set of McCulloch HIDs (through eBay). From what i've read, McCulloch is a quality brand of HID..right up there with Phillips and such...didn't want to disappoint BB Laughing

I made a mistake and misread the auction, buying 8000k as opposed to the 6000k i was hoping to get. They said they had all K colors in stock, so i thought the auction was "universal" so-to-speak, but it wasn't. I eMailed them to see if they could send the 6000k bulbs but the order had already been shipped. They did say that i could ship them the bulbs (at my cost) and they'd replace them with the proper K, but i think i'll see how these look and if they're not right for me, i'll buy a different set and set these to the side for spares.

The kit cost $235.xx shipped and comes with a full 1 year warranty.

I should have them by weeks end, so pics are forthcoming Very Happy

NAIOA Owner / Webmaster
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe
2008 Subaru Impreza
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sorry to disappoint you Sad ... but McCulloch is not a quality brand... it's straight from China... and you all know how I feel about the Chinese Ballasts...

You could have gotten them cheaper from the W-Body store... the W-Body store kit is a McCulloch kit as well...

Here are some threads on the McCulloch kit:

http://forums.roadfly.com/foru.....816-1.html
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=338190

EDIT:
mbanks21@Banks Performance wrote:
ask the folks on www.hidforum.com what THEY think of the McC\ kit.

Ask Matt Banks @ Banks Performance what HE thinks of it.

STAY AWAY FROM MUCULLOCH!!! We sold them for about 3 months last year and had nothing but trouble. One customer had I believe a 6000k kit and it went from blue to white to yellow to green over a months time. 2 ballasts started smoking, bulbs would burnout.

and do check out hidforum for info, this is ALL these guys talk about, they know their stuff:

HIDforum (http://hidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1381&highlight=McCULLOCH+and+ggarage)
HIDforum (http://hidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=794&highlight=McCULLOCH+and+ggarage)
HIDforum (http://hidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=569&highlight=McCULLOCH+and+ggarage)
HIDforum (http://hidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99&highlight=McCULLOCH+and+ggarage)

For reference, McCulloch is also G-Garage and Bohmen kits are made by them also.

Oh the other hand, weve installed dozens of Xtec kits with fantastic results- not just on BMW's either:

http://www.revxtreme.com/forum.....entid=1397

BBEngineer

Decisions...Decisions...
helldorado
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.52

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2005 Infiniti G35
2008 Subaru Impreza
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Toyota Space Cruiser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

8000K is going to look teal blue. Its definitely not white and it will get you some attention from the 5-0.

BuffaloSS
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

DOH! DOH! DOH! DOH!

AH well...

However, if you read on, someone goes on to say that the problems were specifically with the older-generation HID kit and the newer one is relatively "problem free." This was also said about older Phillips ballasts...having many problems until they corrected the design.

Tell you what...i'll report each and every problem that i have right in this thread Wink

Last edited by BuffaloSS on Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sabrewings
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 3.92

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've decided I'll go with a Xenondepot 4300k kit when I take the plunge. Anything wrong with those, BB? Do I need to get a set for my brights, or leave them since HID is enough? What about fog lights?

Oh so many questions... Tax return will be funding this mod, me thinks. Very Happy

Still Imp'n, just with a different Imp.
BuffaloSS
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sabrewings wrote:
I've decided I'll go with a Xenondepot 4300k kit when I take the plunge. Anything wrong with those, BB? Do I need to get a set for my brights, or leave them since HID is enough? What about fog lights?

Oh so many questions... Tax return will be funding this mod, me thinks. Very Happy

I believe someone said to leave the brights alone due to the fact that it takes some time to heat them up...generally you're going to "flash" your brights or have them on for very short periods of time.

The XenonDepot kits use genuine Phillips products, so BB is all for that!

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

BuffaloSS wrote:
I believe someone said to leave the brights alone due to the fact that it takes some time to heat them up...generally you're going to "flash" your brights or have them on for very short periods of time.

Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that they're the DRLs and would be on constantly in the day. Fogs are still tricky, me thinks. I love the look of the car with the fogs on.

BuffaloSS wrote:
The XenonDepot kits use genuine Phillips products, so BB is all for that!

One of the links he provided held them in higher regard.

Either way, I'm curious how yours turn out. Since these are what W-body store use.

helldorado
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.52

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2005 Infiniti G35
2008 Subaru Impreza
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Toyota Space Cruiser

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sabrewings wrote:
BuffaloSS wrote:

Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of the fact that they're the DRLs and would be on constantly in the day. Fogs are still tricky, me thinks. I love the look of the car with the fogs on.

Don't do the high beams. Flashing reduces bulb life and the spark time would negate the flash anyway. By the time they lit up, you'd be letting off the stalk. Not to mention you'd be blinding the f**k out of everybody else on the road when you drove with them on. You'd be better off doing a 4 beam bypass, so your highs and lows are both on at the same time.

Same with the fogs, they're not really well aimed/designed, so you're more likely to blind oncoming traffic with them. Do the lowbeams first and take it from there. I found I liked having the look of the halogen fogs with the HID highs. But that's personal preference. Either way, you should find you have more than enough usable light output just from the low beams with the HID swap.

Sabrewings
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks helldo. Info to heed. Very Happy

I'll try it without HID fogs and see how it goes. I need to replace my driver side fog light assembly anyway. Got moisture and a loose reflector.

Inferno03LS
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.42

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Cadillac Escalade

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

how are the HIDs from oznium?
bigrod118
Guru
Guru
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.9

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm waiting to see an HId bulb made in the 890 series bulb like our fog lights. I personally HATE bright HID headlights, and normal Halogen fogs, the other way around I thnk looks fine, but bright headlights and "dim" fog lights, ick.

Plus I have mine aimed so they don't blind people anyways, but I haven't seen a 893 or similar HID bulb yet.

Good luck with them Buffalo, I know once you saw that Monte on CGP with them, that you wouldn't be too far behind Wink Laughing

BuffaloSS
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bigrod118 wrote:
Good luck with them Buffalo, I know once you saw that Monte on CGP with them, that you wouldn't be too far behind Wink Laughing

Yeah, i talked to Paul (kissmyss03) before i purchased them to see if he had any problems with them to date. He said they haven't changed color and he's had no problems with anything else.

We'll see...

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

helldorado wrote:
8000K is going to look teal blue. Its definitely not white and it will get you some attention from the 5-0.

i have 8500K bulbs and havent been pulled for them yet, ive had them for about 2 yrs now.

Five0two wrote:
he had a lot of doubters along the way while he was in the process,
but once all was said and done, damn near every doubter became an admirer.

www.myspace.com/youwouldhaveneverguessed
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/767696
rhinorocker
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Diamond Contributor (Amount: 1) Diamond Contributor

Posts per day: 1.16

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bigrod118 wrote:
I'm waiting to see an HId bulb made in the 890 series bulb like our fog lights. I personally HATE bright HID headlights, and normal Halogen fogs, the other way around I thnk looks fine, but bright headlights and "dim" fog lights, ick.

Plus I have mine aimed so they don't blind people anyways, but I haven't seen a 893 or similar HID bulb yet.

You haven't looked hard enough Wink

I bought some of these and they are pretty bright white for the fog's, really night/day difference. They say blue but i can promise you they are 100% white, not one tint of blue. Dont really have a picture of myn so i'll show you a picture of another one....

http://www.eurodezigns.com/ <--says they are compatible with 890, might have to take off the rubber insulator, thats all i had to do....

Ebay Link

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.55

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wbodystore.com updated their site, now available for 9007, 9006, H11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: