NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 02 chevy impala passlock issue? i think.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

02 chevy impala passlock issue? i think.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Welcome, New Members!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chevro

Posts per day: 0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:  02 chevy impala passlock issue? i think. Reply with quote

i have a 02 chevy imapala that has been sitting in the garage for 2 years due to it not starting,i would go to the store come out and try to start the car and it wldn't, then i started to turn the ignition on for maybe 15min because i notice the security light would flash,after 15min it would start. that lasted a few weeks,then it got to where it would not start at all...2 years later ,i sent it to the dealer to have a diagnosis and they tell me i need to start with the starter, i am not a mechanic but that i know is not the answer. so i had it towed back home. had to recharge my battery after they allowed it to lose all power, after a few attempts the car all of a sudden starts,what i notice is the massage board stays on and goes from one subject to the next(brakes,battery,system etc)and would not turn off i could hear like clicking in the dashboard,after maybe a minute it would stop but message board is still on while car is running..after i removed the key the headlights will not turn off,i tried using the light switch and they still remain on..they did also did a recall repair to my key (but looks like just a bigger cover part of the key...please help
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.8

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Start by cleaning the positive and negative battery terminals as well as the ground terminal locations (under the main power distribution/fuse panel in the engine compartment the radiator support, and I think the other one is on the front of the engine block).

From there, you can pull the ignition cylinder out of the car and give it a thorough cleaning with electrical contact cleaner, let it dry, and relube the cylinder with graphite. Go to the dealer parts counter with your registration and have them cut you a new key. Keys wear as they get used and eventually the passlock system thinks it isn't the right key because they are slightly off from what it is expecting.

Reconnect the battery cables and make sure they are tight. If they aren't tight enough or the battery isn't fully charged, the car won't start or run.

If it still gives you the flashing security light when you try to start it with the new key, leave the key in the on position for 11 minutes, turn it to off for a few seconds, turn it back to start. If it doesn't start, leave the key in on for 11 more minutes, turn to off for a few seconds, on for 11 minutes, then off. That should do the passlock relearn and the car should then start properly unless you have another issue going on.

Bri2001
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.04

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Camaro
1970 Chevrolet Chevelle
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe
1965 Plymouth Fury
1989 Dodge Dakota

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It could be a faulty ignition switch which I believe is under recall so I would check with your local Chevy dealer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Welcome, New Members! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: