NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 3000gt vr4/Stealth RT-TT
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

3000gt vr4/Stealth RT-TT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Auto Everything (non Impala)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject:  3000gt vr4/Stealth RT-TT Reply with quote

Seeking information on the car I wanted to own before I found my Impala: a Dodge Stealth or Mitsubishi 3000gt. Has to be AWD TT, so my sights are set. What I'd like to know is if anyone here has had one or heard from a friend if the maintenance and work on theses cars is a real pain or not as bad as the hype? Any reliability concerns, common failures, repair difficulties etc. vs the pros of the car that would either make me go for it or search for something else; unbiased opinions/criticism. Hoping to hear your thoughts on this, guys. TIA

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.78

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I haven't owned one, but a buddy of mine in college bought one and I help him work on it all the time. It was incredible to drive, but a nightmare to maintain (plus you really need a second car for the inevitable down time). Parts were incredibly expensive and after he had to replace the engine block to the tune of 5000 bucks, his wife made him sell it because it was bleeding them dry.

At the end of the day, if you can do all the work yourself it may be possible to afford one, but if you are gonna need to pay a shop to do the work, you are much better getting something else.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Grape
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

my 2 Cents

Mitsu 4 cyls. from 99-03 are indestructible (non-turbo).
I have no personal experience with the turbo'd motors, b/c I never worked on the Eclipse we had for a few winters.

I would have to agree with Iffy on the fact that unless you're going to do all the work yourself and have the funds to go all out Hang Head 2 ...
You may end up over your head. (These "sports cars" tend to be ragged on by their owners)

Last edited by Grape on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.08

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would recommend the 3000 VR-4 personally. I always thought they look a lot better than the Stealths.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.33

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I worked at a Mitsubishi dealership, in parts, a few years ago. It's not hype. What is not discontinued, is very expensive. Between automatic spoilers not working properly, or idle control valves going out, you'll need a parts car if you want to own a reliable one. Also, take a good hard look at the engine bay. You'll realize that in order to work on anything, you'll need to take something else off first, and so on and so on. LOL

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input, guys. I know maintenance is a big factor with these cars, but I feel like the discount from working at a parts place and having a friend who has a vr4 (which he recently repaired after 4 months of down time Neutral ) might help with taking some of the load off.
I agree with you on the appearance comment, PushrodPower, the vr4 do look better than the stealth Laughing
Im still thinking the decision through, that way I hopefully avoid a situation where I get stuck throwing money into it Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Auto Everything (non Impala) All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: