NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

Briggs Auto Group - Discount GM Parts & Accessories 
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Power steering fluid is foaming
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Power steering fluid is foaming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2006-2013 General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Posts per day: 0.03

2007 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Acura TL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject:  Power steering fluid is foaming Reply with quote

Last Friday started the car and moved it to the driveway, started it again less than an hour later and pulled into the street and noticed a terrible whining noise and the steering felt a bit jerkey but still soft. When I looked at the power steering resevoir the fluid was full of air bubbles. I let it sit so the bubbles would go away and it was full, let it run a few minutes and it was foaming, it's definately the power steering pump whining because it's louder when you turn the wheel. Long story short I had the car at the dealer about 2 weeks ago for head gaskets, so they had to take all the accessories off in the process. I'm wondering what/if they messed something up or damaged the lines. It's full but it's getting air in there somehow. After bitching at the dealer for a while they agreed to look at it Wednesday. I don't believe power steering is covered under the 5/100K warranty but I don't think it's unrelated to them working on the car as the mechanic did a quick sloppy job.

Anyone else have this issue? No visible leak but air in the system.

What are my odds of fighting the dealer to say they messed it up?

95SS:blown, cammed, and some more
07LS: Super 44
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 3.23

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't remember hearing any other PS issues like that. Its possible they did screw something up like you said. If you can get them to own up to it, then it shouldn't cost you a dime.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.14

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject:  Re: Power steering fluid is foaming Reply with quote

350 wrote:
Last Friday started the car and moved it to the driveway, started it again less than an hour later and pulled into the street and noticed a terrible whining noise and the steering felt a bit jerkey but still soft. When I looked at the power steering resevoir the fluid was full of air bubbles. I let it sit so the bubbles would go away and it was full, let it run a few minutes and it was foaming, it's definately the power steering pump whining because it's louder when you turn the wheel. Long story short I had the car at the dealer about 2 weeks ago for head gaskets, so they had to take all the accessories off in the process. I'm wondering what/if they messed something up or damaged the lines. It's full but it's getting air in there somehow. After bitching at the dealer for a while they agreed to look at it Wednesday. I don't believe power steering is covered under the 5/100K warranty but I don't think it's unrelated to them working on the car as the mechanic did a quick sloppy job.

Anyone else have this issue? No visible leak but air in the system.

What are my odds of fighting the dealer to say they messed it up?

if they drained and refilled the system they might mot have bled it well enough.

2007 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Acura TL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just got back from the dealer, was in and out in 20 minutes, all they had to do was flush and refill. I'm wondering what I'll notice next cause everything about the head gasket job screams sloppy mechanic to me. It was done quick and sloppy, oil residue on lots of stuff and the guy must have spilled some coolant on it too cause it smelled really bad when I got it back. I know what happened is he took the power steering stuff off and didn't bleed it to save time. Not the end of the world but I had to fight to get an appointment this week and had to take the car back. They wouldn't have even given me an appointment for like 2 weeks if I hadn't called GM to complain about the dealership.
DasRed
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.69

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

350 wrote:
called GM to complain about the dealership.

Get 'em!!! Glad you stuck up for yourself!
Hoping that the PS issue is the worst of your problems from these repairs.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.14

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

350 wrote:
Just got back from the dealer, was in and out in 20 minutes, all they had to do was flush and refill. I'm wondering what I'll notice next cause everything about the head gasket job screams sloppy mechanic to me. It was done quick and sloppy, oil residue on lots of stuff and the guy must have spilled some coolant on it too cause it smelled really bad when I got it back. I know what happened is he took the power steering stuff off and didn't bleed it to save time. Not the end of the world but I had to fight to get an appointment this week and had to take the car back. They wouldn't have even given me an appointment for like 2 weeks if I hadn't called GM to complain about the dealership.

I'll bet real money all they did was bleed the system, which as you already know, they SHOULD have done in the first place.

BTW, this is a cut&paste of GM's recommended p/s bleed procedure. Easy enough to do yourself.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is the GM procedure for bleeding the power steering and hydroboost unit.

Bleed the air from the power steering system before operating the vehicle whenever you remove or disconnect any of the following components:

The power steering pump
The power steering gear
The power steering oil lines

If you allow air to remain in the power steering fluid system, noisy and unsatisfactory operation of the system may result. Perform the following steps in order to bleed air from the hydraulic system:

Important: When bleeding the system, and any time fluid is added to the power steering system, only use power steering fluid as specified

Ensure that the ignition switch is in the UNLOCK position.
1. Turn the steering full left.
2. Fill the power steering fluid reservoir to the FULL COLD level. Leave the cap off.
3. Raise the front wheels off the ground and support the vehicle using suitable safety stands.
4. Place a drain pan under the vehicle in order to catch any power steering fluid that may overflow.
5. With an assistant inspecting fluid level and condition, turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock at least 40 times:
Trapped air may cause the fluid to overflow. Any fluid that spills out will need to be cleaned off of the outside of the reservoir in order to allow for a proper leak check.
Maintain the fluid level at FULL COLD.
Fluid should be free of any air bubbles. If any air bubbles are present, inspect all of the power steering hose fittings for leaks. Repair any leaks, and repeat step 6.
6. Start the engine and allow the engine to idle.
7. Maintain the power steering fluid level at FULL COLD.
8. Install the power steering reservoir cap.
9. Return the front wheels to the straight ahead position.
10. Lower the front wheels to the ground.
11. After allowing the engine to idle for 2 minutes, fully turn the steering wheel in both directions in order to verify the following:
Smooth power assist
Noiseless operation
Proper fluid level
No system leaks
Proper fluid condition (no air bubbles, foam, or discoloration)
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 3.23

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

350 wrote:

Where are you located? and what dealer? May help steer other members away

2007 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Acura TL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Bryner in Jenkintown, PA. Years ago my uncle's truck got stolen from their lot...I'm a bit skeptical about all dealers and shops so I don't think I would have gotten different treatment anywhere else if I just walked in off the street. Anything non-warranty I have enough friends that work at shops, just no dealer hookups. If I didn't have to dig the car out of snow to get it there I would have prob just bled it myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2006-2013 General Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: