NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

Briggs Auto Group - Discount GM Parts & Accessories 
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Help for replace power steering pump
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Help for replace power steering pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otta

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject:  Help for replace power steering pump Reply with quote

My power steeing pump goes worse, I am going to replace it . Does anyone have ideas how to replace it? It would be greatly appreciated...
esx503
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.05

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If it is a 3.4L its quite easy i believe its only 3 bolts. you undo the steering hoses and do not remove the pulley there is no need to im pretty sure the new pump will have the pulley on it. the pump comes out upward and you might need to replace your reservoir. of course your gonna have to loosen the belt tensioner at the bottom above the harmonic balancer. i hope this helps.
SilverStar
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.2

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Is there a difference between the 9c1 pump and the LS? I need to replace mine and there is a 9c1 getting parted out near me. I know the engines are the same but I also know there are some differences in parts used and wasn't sure if the PS pump was one such part.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

SilverStar wrote:
Is there a difference between the 9c1 pump and the LS? I need to replace mine and there is a 9c1 getting parted out near me. I know the engines are the same but I also know there are some differences in parts used and wasn't sure if the PS pump was one such part.

Well, you didn't mention if you have a 3400 or a 3800, the 9C1 cars were all 3800's and the P/S pump from that should work on a non-9C1 car with the 3800 motor.
SilverStar
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

DennisW wrote:
SilverStar wrote:

Well, you didn't mention if you have a 3400 or a 3800, the 9C1 cars were all 3800's and the P/S pump from that should work on a non-9C1 car with the 3800 motor.

The LS is a 3800. That's why I was asking if the 9c1 would work. But thanks anyways. I swapped out a La Sabre from the yard and it works perfectly.

Otta, if you are still having issues with your pump and need to swap, let me know. I can walk you through it.

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

imo gm is notorious for failing power steering pumps.. id get new or you will probably end up replacing it again soon

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

labriola wrote:
imo gm is notorious for failing power steering pumps.. id get new or you will probably end up replacing it again soon

The La Sabre looked to be a babied old man car. It was $15 and I got to learn a good deal about the car in the process. I have a leaking rack and pinion so this was always a possible temporary fix. I will be changing the rack in a couple of weeks so if the pump is still good at the time, GREAT! If not, I'll pick up another one. No worries. But you're right, labriola, they do have a high fail rate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: