NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

Briggs Auto Group - Discount GM Parts & Accessories NAIOA Advertising
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Best tires
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Best tires
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2006-2013 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JenniEliz
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.05

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Malibu
1986 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wow!!! now that part I didn't know. Im going to check and see if the Goodyear LS2 is still made here or maybe the original tires put on most Impalas the Integerty

Ok went to both Goodyear and Michelin websites to find out what tires they offer and here are the tires:

Goodyear: Eagle GT, Eagle LS2 and the Eagle RS-A

Michelin: Hydro Edge, Harmony, Destiny and X- Radial

I do like the warrantees that come with the Michelin one wasa 90,000 mile and the other 3 were 80,000 and the last three were made for comfort ride ( what I want) Well I do have alot of thinking to do.

2007 Chevy impala 3LT 3.9 white/ tan
Firestone FR710 225/55r17 stock 3LT rims dark tented windows
2006 Malibu 1LT, 120,000, 2.4 ecotech
garsarno
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.36

2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have had better luck using the UTQ mileage ratings. At tire rated 600+ should wear longer than one rated at 260 - 300. They claim double but that never happens. My daughter's 2010 Fusion Sport has the Goodyear Eagle RSA as standard. She has 22,000 miles on them and they are about 1/2 way gone. My RSA did not last 20,000 miles on my '07 SS.
JenniEliz
Cadet
Cadet

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Malibu
1986 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ys, I know about the short life of the RS-a. I was just listing what they had in my size. I ddn't even know they had started making the GT's again. It's really between the Good year LS2 and the Harmony orX-radial from Michelin

TSS
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.95

2001 Cadillac Seville
2009 Chevrolet Impala
2010 Lincoln MKS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

RSAs suck on every level, not just tread life IMO. IE. Ride, smoothness, noise, etc.

For 18s, I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus' and would buy them again in a heartbeat.

2009 Impala SS (sold);
2010 Buick Enclave CXL - bone stock;
2010 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost - V6 AWD Twin Turbo; K&N Typhoon CAI, Livernois Motorsports Tuned, 20" stock rims Permachromed, 0 to 60 in 4.20 seconds
JenniEliz
Cadet
Cadet

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Malibu
1986 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I've never owned any Michelin....yet. I always buy Goodyear and the only tires Ive tried out on the Impalas at work were 3 models of Goodyear 1 from General, and one more brand. And the on I like as far as ride is the LS2. Wish I could try the new GT. Now we have Michelin on other car brands like the Fusion, the Lucerne, LaCrosse, and DTS. Yes all feel very nice, and I would guess they would ride nice as well on my Impala. Thats why I said I have alot to think about.

DonRome
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.43

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008 Pontiac G8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have the Eagle GT's on my G8 and they are fantastic tires, but they wear pretty quickly since they are soft rubber. 400hp under the hood might have an effect on that too, but your probably won't get many miles out of them either. Don't get the GY LS-2's they aren't very good tires, the GY Triple Treads are an excellent choice and so are the Michelin Harmony tires.

Cadet
Cadet

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Malibu
1986 BMW 5 Series

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the GT's. The reason I said LS2 is only because of the way hey feel and ride soo soft. I have no experince with any Michelin. And the triple tread doesn't come in my size according to Goodyears' website

scottb1982
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.17

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I am currently using Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires on my 18s that I purchased through TireRack. They have a 50,000 mile warranty, high UTQG, have great traction all around, even in snow, and ride smooth and quiet. I would even go as far as to say they ride better than the stock 16s with BF Goodrich tires that came on the car when I bought it! General makes good tires as well, but they are usually a little rougher riding.
SSfan07
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.03

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Yukon
1998 Honda Civic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Continental Xtreme contact dws. I have them on my 07 SS and they are amazing in all weather conditions. (Except snow)

Mine is a 2007 Impala SS, Black on Black. Front grille bowtie was removed and replaced with door "SS" badges the GM chicklets were also removed out back i debadged the entire trunk lid and added door "SS" badge in place of the bowtie.
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.7

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject:  Re: Best tires Reply with quote

JenniEliz wrote:
Hi all, what I would like is to know what tire are the best riding tires for my Impala. Right now i have Firestone FR710's 225/55R17. With stock 3LT rims and these are the roughest riding tires. Any bump you hit you feel. At work we have some 3LT's with Good Year LS2's( I really like the softer ride) A few that have General Tires (to me they feel as the same as my Firestones. I'm thinking about the Good Year.

In order to improve ride comfort one of the best things you can try is to lower your tire pressure to about 32 psi. For the most part, when it comes to tires, the bumps you feel are due to the air pressure and aspect ratio of the sidewall (lower profile tires provide less comfort). Road noise, vibration, etc. can be be improved with a better rubber compound tire designed for reducing those factors, but if you are talking about how hard it feels when you hit a deep manhole cover or such, that will mainly improve with tire pressure and a larger sidewall.

Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.03

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2000 GMC Yukon
1998 Honda Civic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I hit a manhole cover that was left part way up. There is no tire in the world that will fit on a passenger car or air pressure level that will make that impact feel anything less than what it is. Being in the industry I wouldn't recommend running a tire pressure that is any lower or higher than the manufacturer specs. Unwound suggest doing your homework and finding a tire that meets you exact needs. Tread pattern, rubber compound and sidewalk stiffness are the major factors in ride quality. The ride quality difference between S, H, and Z rated tires is incredible. You go from soft and comfortable(s rated) to hard and aggressive (z rated) with h rated tires being in the middle. There are so many options plz donyour homework before putting out the money..

Mine is a 2007 Impala SS, Black on Black. Front grille bowtie was removed and replaced with door "SS" badges the GM chicklets were also removed out back i debadged the entire trunk lid and added door "SS" badge in place of the bowtie.
jgilius
Uber
Uber
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.47

1983 Ford Thunderbird
2006 Ford Focus
2010 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i picked up a pair of hydro edges from a local online auction for 14 dollars, 80 percent tread, no patches. now i can buy a new pair for the 133 per that tirerack wants and be set for awhile. yippee! the LS2's are just about shot with a bit over 60k on the odo.

www.afgwm.org
www.pwctoday.com
www.focusfanatics.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2006-2013 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: