NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

Briggs Auto Group - Discount GM Parts & Accessories 
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Creaking noise up front...Again!!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Creaking noise up front...Again!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike690003
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.1

2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject:  Creaking noise up front...Again!! Reply with quote

This is in regards to my 2000 Monte SS

When driving at low speeds in a parking lot, and over small bumps I hear a creaking noise in the front of the car. It sounds as if it is coming from the passenger side. I have the GMPP kit, new cv axles, the last time this happened, the brake pad somehow was chipped on the edge and was causing the noise. I don't drive hard at all, so I'd be mad if the pad chipped AGAIN!! I do have the drilled/slotted rotors and Morse ceramic pads, guess I might need something better.

Anyone recommend a set of GREAT STOPPING, NO SQUEAKING and LOW DUST pads for me?

And could the problem be caused by something else this time?

Senior Level
Senior Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.7

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Mercury Cougar
1991 Ford Econoline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sway bar bushing? My (stock) rear ones creak going over speed bumps.

snook
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.65

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1985 Chevrolet Blazer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Maybe describe the creak a little bit, it may just be what happened to you last time.

I would guess engine cradle. Had 3 replaced for the same noise. It creaks where the a-arms hook to the engine cradle. They used one of those automotive stethescopes to determine where it was coming from. They added some reinforcement welds to keep it from happening on the last one. Also penetrating oil helped quiet it down some with the old ones.......
VoSSer

Posts per day: 0.01

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Chevrolet Impala
1979 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My guess is strut mounts - pretty common issue in these cars from what I read. Does the problem seem to get worse if the temps drop? Mine would make an awful creaking noise especially when the weather was cold and I was driving slowly over bumps. Had to replace mine at only 22k miles, but then again, the car was involved in an accident so that may have accelerated their demise! Regardless, replacing them cured my creaking front end.

As for the pads, I have had excellent luck with Duralast Gold CMAX brake pads. They run about $60 for a set and have a lifetime warranty. I'm sure there are some out there that may perform better under extreme driving conditions, but bang-for-your-buck and ease to find, they are hard to beat.

jw319901
Uber
Uber
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.35

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

skater wrote:
Sway bar bushing? My (stock) rear ones creak going over speed bumps.

x2

SatImpala
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.33

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Ford Mustang

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I know my sway bar bushings are horribly loud. Maybe that's what it is.

Gimp_in_the_Imp

Posts per day: 0.01

2003 Chevrolet Impala
1988 Jeep Wrangler
1973 Dodge Charger
1997 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

snook wrote:
Maybe describe the creak a little bit, it may just be what happened to you last time.

I would guess engine cradle. Had 3 replaced for the same noise. It creaks where the a-arms hook to the engine cradle. They used one of those automotive stethescopes to determine where it was coming from. They added some reinforcement welds to keep it from happening on the last one. Also penetrating oil helped quiet it down some with the old ones.......

Snook, can you please tell me where to lube the cradle to stop the creek??At the mounting points to the body? Or the suspension? With spray lube?

I had the same problem start after the dealer had to drop the rear of the cradle to replace the stearing rack while my car was still under warranty. They used some sort of GM part number lube to get rid of the creeeeek Rolling Eyes ....But it took them a few times to get it to dry correctly? (yep... thats what they told me)

Anyway, I'm going to have to replace the rack yet again.(my warranty is up-so it's up to me to fix it this time) ...due to another leak, and I just wanted to get as much info before hand.
By the way, sorry for high-jacking this thread.

2003 Impala Base 3.4L, CA Sport Package=(rear LS spoiler & rear light covers,200w stereo,electric drivers seat etc) Stuff I added= GM handling package, SS wheels or police wheels, Indy grill, heated Leather seats with Indy headrests, r/r trunk lid to install SS rear spoiler, Steering wheel with radio controls and a handicap spinner, DIC (thanks BBEngineering), LS gages, Pontiac shifter knob, Dash wood package, Painted rockers, Tint, 1960's flags/impala emblems.
milwaukee_01impala
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.93

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2001 Chevrolet Express

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i'd have to say sway bar bushings. i know mine are bad and i know the exact creaking noise you're talking about. mine creak when going over small humps in the road at slow speeds.

interior/exterior:BBEngineering led LS cluster,BBEngineering led HVAC control,BBEngineering DRL/ALC bypass,quad headlights,impala embroidered floormats,20%tint,auto ventshade vent visors,LED tail lamps/front turn signals,LED interior/reverse/license plate lights,silverstar hi/lo beams,turn signal mirrors,aftermarket moonroof,17" Helo slick rims
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: