NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

Briggs Auto Group - Discount GM Parts & Accessories 
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Anyone ever notice this? Ticking/clicking noise?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Anyone ever notice this? Ticking/clicking noise?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2006-2013 Engine, Exhaust & Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvaImpala
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.03

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Question Anyone ever notice this? Ticking/clicking noise? Reply with quote

I have an 06 LTZ 3.9, and im noticing when it's cold I hear a ticking/clicking noise coming from the engine compartment...anyone else ever get this?
20SS07
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2009 Toyota Tacoma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The search feature is your best friend

http://www.naioa.com/v2/module.....king+noise

Not the same engine, but similiar issue. Also a couple threads regarding this among the 00-05 cars as well.

Jesus created the internet and puppies and dandelions and kittens and sunny days and lollipops and impalas and turbochargers and pizza and beer and wings and boobies and blowjobs and pizza and pizza and pizza and beer and snow days and football and cheerleaders and drag radials and nascar and everything else that's awesome.

whitelightnin04MC wrote:
It's hard to find retards of this quality in such masses. It's truly amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EvaImpala
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yep, I know how to do a search, I'm specifically asking 06+ members with a 3.9...thanks though.
BLACKISS
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I know this is super simple, but I was getting an intermitant ticking noise coming from the the dash and I thought it might be from the engine. I turned the radio off and listened but I couldn't figure it out. It turned out to be the blower motor, but it only does it about half the time when its on. Silly simple, but you never know.
bigred

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've complained numerous times about the ticking/clicking noise. It does it even if the heat/air is not on. A non-GM ASE mechanic heard it and said he thought it was the blower fan because the fan blows with the unit off. I've tried a couple different dealers and they say they can't recreate the problem. One said it might be the fuel injector, but said that once it warmed up the noise would stop. It actually is more after warmed up on mine and gets loud enough sometimes to be heard over the radio/road noise/etc.
bigred

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Okay, back from service and the technician heard the ticking/clicking sound although it was not nearly as loud as it can get as the weather gets warmer. He says it sounded like a evaporation purge valve in the engine compartment that catches the excess and routes it back to the engine since they no longer route them from engine to gas tank. He doesn't know if he can do anything about the noise or not, but he will try. Kind of ridiculous that a valve would be designed to be heard over the radio at times.

Second evap valve noise he diagnosed. The other was that there is one at the fuel tank that does 3 knocks each time the car is started and goes a short distance. Doesn't exactly fit what it happening, but that's his answer and he's sticking with it.
dts3p
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.52

2006 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

wow I heard this yesterday as I was coming home from class, and was going to search about it (or more likely make a new thread without searching) later tonight after my exam
bigred

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Newest word on the evap purge valve making the ticking noise. Mechanic says that he definitely traced the noise to this valve and where the hoses are attached it vibrates and the vibration (ticking noise) is conducted through the air vents to the cabin. He says there is a fix and they have ordered the part. It should arrive and be put in Monday. We'll see if it fixes the noise.
EvaImpala
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bigred wrote:
Newest word on the evap purge valve making the ticking noise. Mechanic says that he definitely traced the noise to this valve and where the hoses are attached it vibrates and the vibration (ticking noise) is conducted through the air vents to the cabin. He says there is a fix and they have ordered the part. It should arrive and be put in Monday. We'll see if it fixes the noise.

Does this affect your exhaust? Do you notice anything while idling in gear?
ryuloudog
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I read in the owner manual about this and they said it's normal, they also said something about trying diff. gas grades. Don't qoute me though, I saw something in the manual though.
bigred

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Finally got the car back on Wednesday. According to my repair ticket they: "replaced coolant inlet/outlet heater pipes/hoses with new design pipe assy with a insulator grommet for mounting to throttle body studs. Evap purge valve sound was traveling thru pips and into heater core at center of dash area."

I don't know that it affected the exhaust. I do hear some vibration/uneven exhaust sounds at times, especially if I leave the car running and go to the back. I'm wondering if it is normal, but the service dept is really getting tired of me. They told me I was looking for noises and every time I heard one I thought something was wrong and a lot of time it is just the normal natural sound of the car. Interesting that the seat creaking, window screeching, this ticking, rattles in the dash have all been heard by the techs and are legit.
geoimpala

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had a similar problem except that my car's noise starts when the engine warms up , but not if the a/c is on or the radio plays loud enough to mask the sound. Crying or Very sad

They replaced the evap thingy but the noise still comes back at times when the engine is warm and usually in the summer guess the cold kinda frezzes the problems but solid ...... they wouldn't help me the second time I complained

they said no one else has this problem its all in my mind....
kinda like chinese water torture one drop at a time as I drive --hour after tick hour tick

I finally said yup the sound sounds like a commerical --- tick tick tick getatoyotaic tick getatoyotatick tick Confused

sigh -- my 12 year old 3.3 liter v6 intrepid engine never ticked -it just ran great
just had a few other problems

Last edited by geoimpala on Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
badboibabi
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.71

2006 Chevrolet Impala
1994 Honda Accord
2006 Dodge Charger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

my car does it once in a while. like when im at a red light

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.35

2011 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My 2007 SS has no tick. Our '07 Hemi Grand Cherokee has the tick, the jeep forum calls it the "Hemi tick". Not unusual for this engine. Our '07 Lexus ES350 has had it since new. Lexus tech says it is the direct fuel injection. Some cars have it, some don't. Changed to Mobil 1, no change. Louder as the overnight temps get cooler. Nothing like having a noisy Lexus and you can be sure, when anyone asks what is wrong with the car, I tell them it's a Lexus and it is normal. Two of our freinds have puchased BMW 5 series because of the tick and the transmission problems.
SSGOAT
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.81

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Excursion
2005 Pontiac GTO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

not sure if i heard the same tick today but this morning i turned on the car with remote start i walked into the car like 3 minutes after i had turned it on to get get some cds i had taken out like an hour ago after driving my sister to work (car was already 1/4th warm as i got in) while i got the cds i heard a pretty loud ticking... coming from the radio area.. since i had taken out a cd i thought i messed up the 6 disc changer and it was stuck trying to switch a cd.. so i turn on the radio and the cd is playing fine...
i turn off the air... nothing... turn it on full blast.. nothing...

ticked for about 30seconds to a minute... then about 1 1/2 hour later while driving back home after getting my rims put on i hear the ticking again as im driving... straight line, steady speed, no radio or a/c on....

is that the same thing as you guys or wtf?

thanks in advance...

veeeeeeeeeeeeeeee teeeeeehhhhkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2006-2013 Engine, Exhaust & Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: