NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

Briggs Auto Group - Discount GM Parts & Accessories 
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - what size rims can I fit on '06?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

what size rims can I fit on '06?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2006-2013 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmcartel

Posts per day: -0.01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject:  what size rims can I fit on '06? Reply with quote

I found a great deal for some ferretti rims 20 inchs but some peopel telling me I might have to jack up my the car or soemthing some please help me it my first time getting rims. So I wanna know if they will fit on an 06 impala...and what would I have 2 do get make them fit right
Corny40
Master Level
Master Level
Diamond Contributor (Amount: 1) Diamond Contributor

Posts per day: 1.26

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Saturn Aura
2002 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject:  Re: what size rims can I fit? Reply with quote

cmcartel wrote:
I found a great deal for some ferretti rims 20 inchs but some peopel telling me I might have to jack up my the car or soemthing some please help me it my first time getting rims. So I wanna know if they will fit on an 06 impala...and what would I have 2 do get make them fit right

I just put 20" rims on my 2006 SS. Here's what I did...

20" x 8.5" rim w/ 255/35-20 tires with a +40 offset.

I do get a little fender rubbing in the back, going over big bumps, but once I find a shop with a fender roller, or I'm able to rent one, that problem should be gone. They just barely rub, not enough for any visible effects, but you can hear it.

Anyway, I think you can go with any offset from +35 to +45, but if you're going to go with the +35 offset, I would go with 245 tires.

Hope this helps.

cmcartel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

well are they liek the same body types the ss cause arent usually a differnet by just a little bit
Corny40
Master Level
Master Level

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Saturn Aura
2002 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't see why the basic body type would be any different for either model of the 2006 Impala. I think they all start out the same, but maybe someone else in this forum would know for sure.
cmcartel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject:  Re: what size rims can I fit? Reply with quote

CORNY40 wrote:
cmcartel wrote:

I just put 20" rims on my 2006 SS. Here's what I did...

20" x 8.5" rim w/ 255/35-20 tires with a +40 offset.

Anyway, I think you can go with any offset from +35 to +45, but if you're going to go with the +35 offset, I would go with 245 tires.

hey i was woundering what you ment by offsets does that mean jacking up your car or something sorry just really stupid when it comes to wheels i just know brakes engines and stuff
Corny40
Master Level
Master Level

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Saturn Aura
2002 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check this out about info on what offset means...

http://www.discounttire.com/dt.....ffsets.dos
BuffaloSS
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The body lines on the SS are no different than the other sub-models. The fenders are interchangeable between the SS, LT/Z, LS.

Offset is basically how far your tires/wheels will stick in/out in the wheel well.

CORNY40...those are HAWT wheels! Nice choice!

!  BuffaloSS:
FYI - I retitled the thread (added "on '06") and moved it into the "Wheels" subforum. I also deleted the other thread you started with the same content.

Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.23

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

BuffaloSS is right as far as body lines. but if I am interpreting your question properly, you may be asking a slightly different question.

the "body type" as you put it MAY have some affect if say, you had an SS. the SS should have a stiffer suspension, which should translate into less bounce and less movement of suspension components, so you may not get rubbing, when on a lower model, with a slightly sponyier suspension, would have more travel of components and would get rubbing.

when you're trying to fit rims and wheels that big on a car not intended for them, it gets tricky on what will work and what wont. CORNY40 has found a close size, but like he said, he still gets some slight rubbing. so his rim dimensions should give you a proximat idea of what sizes may fit, but you may want to take into consideration his slight rubbing and choose a narrower rim/tire.

cmcartel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

yeah so its a better idea to get 18 inch rims or even 17s thanks for the help guys
bluesteel
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.34

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

woooaaaaah. there's a big difference between 17 in. and 20 in. wheels...

and 18s will for sure fit, so may as well get those! Very Happy
BuffaloSS
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 3.63

2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

We weren't trying to dissuade you from getting 20s, so do what you want. 18's would look good too. Throw out some ideas of what you're looking to buy...style-wise.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 1.68

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

To be on the safe side,....this is what I usually do when i'm upsizing wheels for customers. An easy way to tell if a certain size will fit, I check out tirerack.com . Choose your car, find the size rim you want, and see what size tire you should go with. Beats guessing. Laughing

Master Level
Master Level

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2008 Saturn Aura
2002 Honda Accord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

BuffaloSS wrote:
CORNY40...those are HAWT wheels! Nice choice!

Thanks for the compliment Buffalo SS.

Yeah, Tire Rack makes pretty good recommendations, conservative, if anything. They're system wouldn't recommend 255's for my car (Discount Tire did), and it wouldn't have hurt to listen to them...but I love wide tires.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2006-2013 Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: